Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tracey

Default Beyond finger-crossing: getting through winter with old roof

"shinypenny" wrote in message
oups.com...
So the question for the group is: is there anything we can do, short of
finger-crossing and prayers and good luck charms, to get us through
another winter with a bad roof? Are there mitigation techniques we
might try when it snows?

Do you have a roof rake? We use a roof rake to get the snow off the roof
ASAP after a snowstorm, and that seems to help (less snow on there to melt
and cause the ice dams). It might also be worth considering purchasing one
of those cables that you install near the edge of the roof to melt the ice.
Some combination of these would probably help prevent the ice dams.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:38:52 GMT, someone wrote:

Do you have a roof rake? We use a roof rake to get the snow off the roof
ASAP after a snowstorm, and that seems to help (less snow on there to melt
and cause the ice dams)....

We live in a snowy area, we know what a roof rake is, and we have
never used one. We also have never (in the 8 winters since the house
was built) had any leaks from ice dams.

One year when there was an unusual climatic situation (deep snow pack
and numerous days of borderline temps going back and forth across
freezing point), we did have some ice form (as did many buildings in
the area that were not usually prone to this) but no leaks.

If you are roofed right, there should be NO NEED to rake snow off your
roof ASAP (or ever).

Posted to misc.consumers.house

v wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:38:52 GMT, someone wrote:

Do you have a roof rake? We use a roof rake to get the snow off the roof
ASAP after a snowstorm, and that seems to help (less snow on there to melt
and cause the ice dams)....

We live in a snowy area, we know what a roof rake is, and we have
never used one. We also have never (in the 8 winters since the house
was built) had any leaks from ice dams.

One year when there was an unusual climatic situation (deep snow pack
and numerous days of borderline temps going back and forth across
freezing point), we did have some ice form (as did many buildings in
the area that were not usually prone to this) but no leaks.

If you are roofed right, there should be NO NEED to rake snow off your
roof ASAP (or ever).

It depends what you mean by roofed right. There's something called
"ice guard" or something like that that is placed under the shingles
near the eaves and extended a certain distance up the roof. This will
keep the water out only up to the point where the ice guard stops. I
don't know of anyone that's covered the entire roof with it.

Ice dam formation has little to do with the way a house is roofed. The
roof shape, the outdoor conditions, the attic insulation and venting
are all major factors.

Ice dams can still be a problem even if there are no leaks.

My parents house in the same climate never had a problem with ice dams.
Many houses in our neighborhood do, and most of them have new roofs
because of a hail storm a few years ago.

A roof rake should be used as a last resort, but for some houses,
that's what needed, - at least in the problem spots.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Keith Williams

In article .com,
says...

v wrote:
[...]

They covered my entire shed dormer (back half of the house) with
"Ice and Water Shield". The original roofing was half-lap (that
wasn't) I had it replaced with "30 year" Architect shingles. Since
the pitch is only 2/12 they covered the entire thing in the shield.
We live in snow country (NW Vermont) and it's been fine (other than
the fact the nitwits forgot the flashing around the chimney) for
seven or eight years.

Ice dam formation has little to do with the way a house is roofed. The
roof shape, the outdoor conditions, the attic insulation and venting
are all major factors.

Yes, but there are severe conditions where I'll still get dams.
It's rare though.

Ice dams can still be a problem even if there are no leaks.

Sure.

My parents house in the same climate never had a problem with ice dams.
Many houses in our neighborhood do, and most of them have new roofs
because of a hail storm a few years ago.

Ventilation isn't going to stop hail. ;-)

A roof rake should be used as a last resort, but for some houses,
that's what needed, - at least in the problem spots.

I agree. They wear the shingles and can even tear them. It's not
a good idea unless there is no option. Snow blowers on the roof
isn't a good idea either (yes, it's been tried).

--
Keith
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 14 Dec 2005 11:24:55 -0800, someone wrote:

It depends what you mean by roofed right.....

Ice dam formation has little to do with the way a house is roofed. The
roof shape, the outdoor conditions, the attic insulation and venting
are all major factors.

I consider those to be part of roofing a house right.

A properly roofed house, with proper ventilation of the soffits and
attic, and proper insulation of the attic floor, should not normally
or routinely require use of a roof rake.

A roof rake has its uses in cases of unusual drifting, but routine use
of one is typically trying to make up for a poor roofing situation
(INCLUDING bad soffit ventilation and poor attic floor insulation, NOT
ONLY something wrong with the shngles themselves).