Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default External outlets of house not working!

Hello,
I decided to mow, edge, and trim my yard yesterday. I have an electric
trimmer and edger. As i plugged in the extension cord of my electrical
edger to the outlet receptacle outside beside my garage door, no power
came from my edger. I went to my backyard to try the outlets there, but
no power either. I thought something was wrong with the edger, so i
tried to plug the extension cord to an outlet inside my house and it
turned on. My external outlets have died. Don't know why since they
were working a couple of weeks ago when i was trimming my yard. They
have outer covers, so i know water or bugs couldn't gotten into them. I
checked the circuit breaker and turned them on and off. No success.
Problem also is that the trip switches don't have any label for
external outlets. They were labelled like A/C, Master bedroom, Kitchen,
etc. Nothing was labelled for external outlets of house. Anyone have
ideas on what happened and how to fix this? The 1 yr warranty on house
expired in August. Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:
[...]

They might be on a circuit that's not explicitly labeled as external
outlets.

Since they're outdoor outlets, it's possible that one or more of them
are GFI's. Any of the outlets have buttons on them? They act like
little circuit breakers and if the GFI is tripped all the outlets
downstream won't work either. The one that's been tripped needs to be
reset. One of the buttons is a reset button.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
oldal4865

wrote in message
.com...

wrote:
[...]

I chased the same no-outside-power problem all through my sister's
house until I finally found a bathroom GFI tripped.

Bathroom ! ! !

Regards
Old Al

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Harry K

wrote:
[...]

Yep, as others have said, probably a tripped GFI. You will need to
inspect every outlet in your house until you find it as over the years
strange things happen to wiring. In my case I found the problem in my
front bedroom wall outlet. It was feeding the backyard lights and two
sheds. Really strange as they had to run wire the width of the
basement to reach that outlet meanwhile passing several others. House
was totally rewired after that discovery!

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Guys,
It is a GFI outlet. Problem is that i can't find any that have a button
on them. There was one outlet(didn't say GFI) in the kitchen that had
two buttons. One for testing, the other for a reset. I tried it, but it
didn't seem to work. Not sure if that one was for the external outlets
though. I will keep trying to look for it around the house. Very
strange.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Edward Reid

All this is why it's REALLY worth making a map of your electrical system
while everything is working. I didn't get around to it for a couple years
after I moved into my current house, but it's been well worth the effort.
Only took me an hour or two.

Edward