Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Polystyrene ceiling tile in North America

I have found a design for a rubber band powered hovercraft that I am
interested in building with my Scouts. However, the design is from the
UK (http://www.1stmerrickville.ca/events...raft/index.htm) and it
calls for a polystyrene ceiling tile. Googling around doesn't seem to
show any North American sources. The local Home Depot just has
fibrebased ceiling tiles. But they are heavier than a polystyrene one
would be.

Has anybody seen any tiles like this around?

Thanks,

Allan.
http://www.1stmerrickville.ca

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Al Bundy

Maybe you could use 1" styrofoam insulation instead. You might have to
reinforce it at certain mounting points with epoxy, but the result
should be as light as polystyrene. Also, you could find a plastics
supplier that would have almost anything. I have one locally named AINS
plastic. They could ship it I bet. They can cut to any desired shape
too, given your pattern.
It sounds like a fun project.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Al Bundy

PS. I just looked at the design link. It sure doesn't look like it
would hover. I'd like to see it in action. I think you could construct
the whole body using light cardboard. I would scale it a bit larger and
use a lithium cell phone battery to power a hobby motor and prop. When
you cut out the actual lithium cell from the case you have a tiny,
lightweight power pack. The motor can be from some Chinese made toy at
the dollar store. Coupling from the motor shaft to the prop could be
plastic tube, vinyl or PVC.
I just received a circular from Harbor Freight where they sell a remote
controlled airplane for $5.99 on sale, regularly $13.99. That
drivetrain could be converted to a hovercraft.

Smooth dropin 2x2 ceiling tile? [email protected] Home Repair 7 July 15th 05 05:33 PM
PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants Ben UK diy 24 April 30th 04 09:54 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
Replacement for Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles ? Andrew Mawson UK diy 12 November 20th 03 04:20 PM