Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default dishwasher installation

Next year I'd like to have some kitchen remodeling done, primarily
(although not exclusively) so that I can have a dishwasher installed. I
have an older, smaller kitchen with no place for a dishwasher right
now. My kitchen has an "L"-shaped countertop that runs about 11 linear
feet, with a double sink in in the middle of the longer arm of the "L".
The shorter end of the L terminates next to the range; the longer end
terminates in a wall. The back of the refrigerator overlaps the end
of the longer L by about 30" - meaning that I have access to the
countertop along the side of the refrigerator, but there are no
cabinets underneath that part of the counter (and I would have no
access to them if there were).

On the right side of the double sink, there is about 12" of cabinet
space before the refrigerator door begins. This space contains three
large drawers which I can't use because the refrigerator blocks them
from opening (apparently older refrigerators were smaller...). On the
right side of the double sink, there is about 22" of space until the
bend in the L. The double sink itself is 31" across.

My tentative plan right now is to:

(1) Remove the double sink and put in a single sink that is about 16"
or so across.
(2) Using the space saved by the smaller sink, have a carpenter remove
the blocked drawers and one undersink cabinet and make a hole into
which a dishwasher can be installed. This would be on the right side
of the sink, between the sink and the refrigerator.
(3) Have a plumber and an electrician install the appropriate
dishwasher connections.
(4) Have a new countertop (probably a nicer laminate) installed to fit.
(5) Stop washing my dishes by hand(!).

An option I considered but am against right now was buying an 18"
dishwasher and putting it on the left side of the sink - the main flaw
in this plan is that I lose important cabinet space. On the other side
of the sink, as I mentioned, I would lose some drawers that I can't use
anyway because they are blocked by the refrigerator, plus I lose an
undersink cabinet that is not that important.

I guess I have two questions: (1) does anyone see any glaring flaws in
this plan; and (2) Verrry roughly, how much would something like this
cost?

Thanks.

"I guess I have two questions: (1) does anyone see any glaring flaws in

this plan; and (2) Verrry roughly, how much would something like this
cost? "

I would relook at the options and figure out a way to avoid having a
small 16" sink. It's very nice to have a dishwasher, but I sure
wouldn't want to get one by going from a 31 inch std size sink to a
midget one. This will also have an impact on your home's resale value
and will be easy for anyone looking at the house to see. IMO, by the
time you're done, if you put in a small, non-standard sink, you will
have decreased the home's value.

That's helpful, thanks. I may look at putting an 18" dishwasher in on
the left side of the sink then - I hate to give up the storage, but I
don't want to end up with a weird kitchen, either.

Any idea how much a carpenter would charge to make an appropriate
opening in a cabinet?