Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Banty

In article , DrLith says...

wrote:
On 30 Sep 2005 16:26:13 -0700, in misc.consumers.house "Caledonia"
wrote:

Banty wrote:

Hey - the '50s and '60s are back! Boomerang-formica and everything.

Else everyone's trying to look like 1912...

Darn. Despite the 1950's construction, we're sporting the Ye Olde New
England look (think Royal Barry Wills).

So much for my moment of trendiness. Shoulda known it wouldn't last....

Caledonia

Maybe I should be keeping my Harvest Gold sink, it might be really trendy in 20
years.

I'm hanging onto my brown 1969-vintage appliances for that very reason ;-)

I always kinda liked that brown (or I think they called it something like
'copper').

You want the 1960 GE cooktop and wall oven I'm about to rip out? White. (or it
was white...)

Banty

On 30 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0700, in misc.consumers.house Banty
wrote:

In article , DrLith says...

wrote:

Banty wrote:

Hey - the '50s and '60s are back! Boomerang-formica and everything.

Else everyone's trying to look like 1912...

Darn. Despite the 1950's construction, we're sporting the Ye Olde New
England look (think Royal Barry Wills).

So much for my moment of trendiness. Shoulda known it wouldn't last....

Caledonia

Maybe I should be keeping my Harvest Gold sink, it might be really trendy in 20
years.

I'm hanging onto my brown 1969-vintage appliances for that very reason ;-)

I always kinda liked that brown (or I think they called it something like
'copper').

You want the 1960 GE cooktop and wall oven I'm about to rip out? White. (or it
was white...)

Banty

I ripped out the sink today and replaced it with a modern stainless steel one.
Kind of a shame though, it matched my 1975 microwave nicely.
DrLith

Banty wrote:
In article , DrLith says...

I'm hanging onto my brown 1969-vintage appliances for that very reason ;-)

I always kinda liked that brown (or I think they called it something like
'copper').

I'm actually curious as to what the name for this color actually is. I
know that in vintage appliance world, green = avocado, but I imagine
this sort of brown has some special name as well.

From the Southern Illinoisian:
http://www.thesouthern.com/sp_sectio...number=058&s=5

"appliance companies are becoming more daring with color. Dacor is
adding pale green and blue double wall ovens to its line of stainless
steel this year. The British company Aga offers electric and gas ranges
in 15 colors, including two shades of purple: eggplant and lavender....
Red is the top selling Big Chill refrigerator color, says Orion Creamer,
product designer and co-owner of the Colorado company. Yellow and light
blue are close seconds. So far most customers looking to add retro chic
to their kitchens are from California and New York....Still, the general
population seems ready for an alternative to neutral large appliance
colors, says Creamer, based on sales that have steadily grown since the
colorful refrigerators were introduced in the summer. People have
started requesting colors the company doesn't currently offer. "But not
avocado or harvest gold," he says. "We won't be coming out with these
anytime soon."

You want the 1960 GE cooktop and wall oven I'm about to rip out? White. (or it
was white...)

No, but close! The kitchen is the last untouched realm in my house,
which spent many many years as a dismal and neglected batchelor pad in
my husband's former life. The overall theme of the home is "rustic,"
variously interpreted, and I'm not sure quite what variety the kitchen
will take on, but I absolutely certain that stainless or black moderne
appliances will have no place in it! Which means when we're ready to
take the kitchen remodel plunge, I'm hoping to benefit from the current
stainless obsession by picking up nearly new white white-goods at
bargain prices off Craigslist. I can't believe the number of people in
this area who are ripping out 2 or 3-yo appliances so they can upgrade
to stainless.
G Henslee

Goedjn wrote:
geez, I sure hope not.
haven't had anyone fall down it... yet.

what would be the violation?

Probably none, but he's 'thinking' about it.

I THOUGHT that there was a regulation about
all the steps having to be the same shape,
between landings.

Wrong.

http://www.arcways.com/IRC2003.pdf
gd226

I'm in Denver, we tend to warm up during the day here with some good sun

MrC1

"KLS" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:36:09 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

The dogs belong outside.

So do you.

Agree with you there.

keith

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:14:58 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Banty wrote:
In article om,
gd226 says...

so... the impetus for this project is that our dogs have trashed the
existing carpet - necessitating a more durable, cleanable replacement
(either a wood or tile).
Regardless of which one we choose, we'll put down a large area rug for
protection and noise.
As far as the cold issue, winters here in colorado can be chilly, and
we're planning on radiant floor heat.

We like the look of slate, but don't want to do something that will
make the place tough to sell in the future.
The house makes use of stone/concrete as a common theme and already
has alot of unique features (some pics at
http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside )
The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly
a saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the
sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are
concrete.

We're certainly appreciating everyone's thoughts... keep em coming !
Homi

:artly tongue in cheek rant warning::

What IS IT with wooden floors in the kitchen!! Even YOU, with such an
appreciation for tile and stone and slate, put that GODDAM WOOD in
the KITCHEN!

Ten years from now, folks will turn up their noses at the wood floors
in all these two-thousand-ought (year 2001 - 2010) kitchens, just
like they turn their noses up justifiably at those '80s carpeted
bathrooms! It'll be dated in ten years, esp. when folks are tiling
over that stained and water damaged stuff.

Come ON - YOU, with all those other options, all that taste, and all
that appreciation for all those materials which would make wonderful
floors, put those STICKS on the floor of your KITCHEN??!?

I LOVED the rest of your house, then I saw that DUMB wood everyone is
putting in their kitchens nowdays. It just looks duuuuumb.

HmmmmPH!!

::end rant::

Cheers,
Banty (TILE going into MY kitchen!)

I must be way ahead of my time. I put a wood floor in my kitchen in
1968. I still like it. The house was over 100 years old at the time and I
took out sheet flooring to put in the wood and found that under the sheet
was another wood floor. I suspect 30 years from now wood will be back in.
So why worry what you or I think. The home owner should please themselves.

We just put bamboo down in the foyer/hal/kitchen/diningroom. It's far
better looking than vinyl at a similar installed price.

--
Keith
Dan Espen

"MrC1" writes:

"KLS" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:36:09 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

The dogs belong outside.

So do you.

Agree with you there.

Ok, keep the dog inside, but don't invite me over.

I still say they are going to trash the slate.
Travis Jordan

gd226 wrote:
We're certainly appreciating everyone's thoughts... keep em coming !

Having slate in the bedroom is going to be the least of your issues when
you go to resell.