Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
erico

Default plumbing advice needed

Howdy,

I recently installed a shower down in my basement. Before putting the
drywall up, I checked all the plumbing joints by leaving the lines
pressurized for a day and everything seemed fine.

The *one* thing I didn't check was the threaded connection between the
10" metal shower stand that protrudes from the wall (the curved metal piece
that the shower head attaches to), and the supply line. I did put teflon
tape on that connection, but figured it would never have any water in
it, except when the shower was on, so there was nothing to really
worry about.

Of course, I just discover that it leaks when the shower is on max. There is
enough pressure in the line (even though water is coming out of the shower
head) to cause some water drops to bead up on the threaded connection.

I can't unscrew the 10" metal shower stand without cutting a hole in the
drywall - and then of course I'd need to fix that too. However, I can
get my fingers on the threaded pipe joint without ripping any drywall.

I'm thinking of just applying a bunch of caulk around the joint and
calling that a fix. My thought is that the only time this could possibly
leak is when the shower is on, and since the shower is in the basement,
I don't expect it will be used more then a few times a year (if we
have a guest sleeping in the basement - which doesn't happen much).
My last house had a shower in the basement, and it was used maybe
a half dozen times in the three years we lived there.

Any thoughts on this? I'm just not sure its worth going to a lot of trouble
to fix a leak that can't produce more then a handful of drops/year.

Thanks.