Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

daslf

Default Sink stinks

I have a double kitchen sink. I fill the left side to wash dishes. After
I'm done, I release the water and the right side emits a horrible stink.

The left side has the garbage disposal.

If you smell either side with no water, you don't get anything (no smell).

I checked the "U" trap and it was clean. I poured vinegar and baking soda
down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lucy

"daslf" wrote in message
I have a double kitchen sink. I fill the left side to wash dishes. After
I'm done, I release the water and the right side emits a horrible stink.

The left side has the garbage disposal.

If you smell either side with no water, you don't get anything (no smell).

I checked the "U" trap and it was clean. I poured vinegar and baking soda
down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

We had that problem a while back. In our case, the culprit was the underside
of the rubber flap (I don't know what it is called) on the disposal side of
the sink. The bottom of that flap had nasty stuff on it. I discovered this
by sticking a dish brush down there (disposal turned off, of course). I
pulled it up, inside out and scrubbed it with soft scrub with bleach, as
that was all I had handy, and I haven't had a problem with it since.
hth,
lucy

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

daslf wrote:
I have a double kitchen sink. I fill the left side to wash dishes. After
I'm done, I release the water and the right side emits a horrible stink.

The left side has the garbage disposal.

If you smell either side with no water, you don't get anything (no smell).

I checked the "U" trap and it was clean. I poured vinegar and baking soda
down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Do you have one trap on your sink or two?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

chemqueries

Lucy wrote:
We had that problem a while back. In our case, the culprit was the underside of the rubber flap (I don't know what it is called) on the disposal side of the sink. The bottom of that flap had nasty stuff on it. I discovered this by sticking a dish brush down there (disposal turned off, of course). I

pulled it up, inside out and scrubbed it with soft scrub with bleach, as
that was all I had handy, and I haven't had a problem with it since.
hth, lucy

Thanks so much for mentioning this. For the past month or so, I've
noticed a bad smell coming from my kitchen. I assumed it was from the
garbage disposal, so I tried various remedies on separate occasions,
including baking soda, lemon juice and chlorox. The smell persisted.
After reading your post, I lifted up that rubber flap and saw the most
disgusting black fungus growing there. I scrubbed it with a chlorox
solution. It's ever so much better now.

Lucy

"chemqueries" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lucy wrote:
[...]

You're so welcome! I'm just glad I was able to help..
lucy

Replacing kitchen sink Alex Home Ownership 2 August 7th 05 01:19 PM
Replacing kitchen sink Alex Home Repair 2 August 7th 05 01:19 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc Nodge UK diy 0 September 21st 04 02:02 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM