Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Harry Muscle

Default Info to backup safety of aluminum wiring?

I've moved into a house build in 1971 which is wired mainly with
aluminum wiring. I've read a handful of published information that
states that aluminum wiring (or more correctly, the connections made
with aluminum wiring) do in fact create a fire hazard greater than
copper wire. I also know that a lot of people state that aluminum
wiring does not pose any greater risk than copper if done properly.
What I'm interested in is what is "done properly" and have there been
tests done on such "proper" wiring methods to prove that they do in
fact pose no increased fire hazard?

So in other words, what I'm looking for is published (on paper,
internet, etc.) information from reputable sources that would refute
the claims made by the information that I've already read making
aluminum out to be a fire hazard. A lot of the information I've read
so far can be found at www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum.htm

Thanks for the input,
Harry

First Aluminum Anodizing attempts (long w/ pictures) James Lerch Metalworking 7 June 3rd 05 05:30 AM
aluminum wiring The Data Rat Home Repair 6 January 17th 04 06:00 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
Corrosion of Aluminum wiring Fergus McMenemie UK diy 14 November 14th 03 09:58 PM
aluminum wiring Doug Miller Home Repair 8 July 5th 03 02:22 PM