Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Hooking generator to house 220 circuit

I've got a small generator which I hooked to the house via the dryer
plug for a couple hurricanes last year. This year, I made a male -
male 220V 4 wire extension cord and hooked a female outlet to my 220V
irrigation well pump. The well pump is only a 3 wire. I think I
should hook the ground from the 3 wire to the nuetral on the plug, and
not hook anything to the ground wire on the 4 wire plug. Just looking
for advice - is this correct?

Thanks

"Backfeeding a generator into a
house through a branch circuit can have a lot of negative consequences
for both
the house and the emergency linesmen in the area. "

Yes, besides being illegal, it could easily get an innocent person, eg
a lineman, killed.

EXT

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Backfeeding a generator into a
house through a branch circuit can have a lot of negative consequences
for both
the house and the emergency linesmen in the area. "

Yes, besides being illegal, it could easily get an innocent person, eg
a lineman, killed.

And get yourself killed as well with that male to male cable.

Your pump will be only 240 volt with no neutral, your generator will have a
neutral and your house needs a neutral to operate it. Do a proper, legal and
safe connection and everything will work correctly. To jury rig a generator
this way can create many problems, particularly with safety. Do it right or
not at all.

Am I getting Scammed.. ROYALLY? Putting an offer on a house [email protected] Home Ownership 25 March 6th 05 03:05 AM
Why buy a house? victor Home Ownership 376 August 19th 04 11:08 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
bath along or across joists? (further stories from the house fromhell) Seri UK diy 7 March 12th 04 03:56 PM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM