Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Owner-Builder Question

I intend to remodel a property I purchased recently. I'm experienced in
construction,
having built a couple of places in the past. I know what I'm doing.

I want to save some money and go the Owner-Builder route. I want to
hire a carpenter to
help me frame the place. I will need a drywaller to work with me also.
All of the mechanical
trades I can do with my step-sons help.

If I hire a carpenter, does he have to be licensed or can he simply be
a tradesman. I've got a
semi-retired guy in mind who's a really good carpenter, but that is all
he is. He isn't a
licensed contractor. I want him to work piece work, he says that's OK
with him. He seems to be
reluctant to take the job, for fear of working on a project without a
license.

I assured him I will be the owner and his employer. He will be my
employee. How can I convince
him that it's legal for him to help me frame this place? It doesn't
make sense to me to save
money by being an Owner-Builder and then pay the overhead and profit of
hiring a framing
contractor when I know how to frame, I just need an extra carpenter.

A bathtub question John W. Home Ownership 6 October 14th 04 08:14 PM
Is my builder shafting me with the AC unit he selected? jas kim Home Repair 38 September 25th 04 05:38 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM