Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

No

Default Site got me thinking, home search question

I actually looked at the site in a spammers post about a website that would
let you find a home based upon neighborhood criteria. Nice idea but it
doesn't have quite what I want.

My situation - I have a job that would allow me to live anywhere, as long as
I have a reasonable commute to an airport for occasional business trips. I
would like to be able to search, NATIONALLY , an MLS system. I know about
Realtor.com and others like it. The problem with sites like Realtor, and
others is that you need to specify a town and proximity to that town.

I would like to plug in criteria such as
40 plus acres
4 plus BR
3 plus baths
partially wooded
within 60 miles of an airport

Then have it show me a list, lowest price to highest, anywhere in the
continental US. Even if I left off the airport relationship, partially
wooded lot, etc. I figure if I got too many hits, I could put in a price
range, increase acreage or tweak other criteria to further refine, or
expand, my list of choices.

Why are all systems for searching restricted to particular areas?
Opportunity for someone?

Kendall P. Bullen

In article , "No"
wrote:

Why are all systems for searching restricted to particular areas?

Er, because the overwhelming majority of folks ARE looking in a
particular area, or at least, in a few areas? I think you're very much
the exception. ;-)

Opportunity for someone?

No doubt! Good luck in your search.

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!

Do you mean 40 acres, or is that a typo?

If not, you can easily exclude North East regions.

No

No typo, just part of a wish list. I figure 40 acres in Montana may be
easier to come by than 40 acres in the north east. In other words, where can
I do a search that would show me 40 acre plus properties with a decent house
for under a million dollars? Location independent.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you mean 40 acres, or is that a typo?

If not, you can easily exclude North East regions.

Luke

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:49:58 -0400, "No" wrote:

No typo, just part of a wish list. I figure 40 acres in Montana may be
easier to come by than 40 acres in the north east.

[snip]

Yep. If you don't mind methane gas wells pumping 24/7 on your
property, roads to the wells, truck traffic, and the saline water
pumped from the wells polluting your streams and killing your grasses
;-). (As you no doubt know, Western property rights exclude subsurface
rights.)

--
Luke
"Things aren't getting better; they're getting worse. The White House

On 27 Jun 2005 13:35:20 -0700, someone wrote:

Do you mean 40 acres, or is that a typo?

If not, you can easily exclude North East regions.

Why, I have lived in the Northeast all my life. I used to have a 110
acre and also a 275 acre parcel, both within 30 miles of an airport
with scheduled (jet) airline service.

Presently I only live on 12 acres, but when I was in the market, there
was also 45 acres for sale on my same street. Also (barely) within
OP's 60 miles criterion.

He might actual get to some of these due to his airport requirement.
There is plenty of cheap land out West but it is not near much at all.

This can be done. The key is to look in lower-priced areas - go to
realtor.com and find this one:

26207 Jackson Rd
Borden, IN 47106
MLS ID#: 200500802

Farm/Ranch Property, County: Clark, Lot is 1524600 sq. ft., Year Built:
2003, Hill/mountain view, View, Single story, Central air conditioning,
Spa/hot tub(s), Fireplace(s)

Just north of Louisville KY it looks like. Heck, go into Kentucky,
near Louisville, or SE Indiana near Cincy. This one's in Western
Indiana, an hour from Indy probably, again from realtor.com:

11274 N County Road 200W
Brazil, IN 47834
MLS ID#: 38681

Single Family Property, Area: Clay County, Approximately 21.5 acre(s),
Year Built: 1927, Two story, Garage, Central air conditioning,
Basement, Laundry room

This one doesn't have the land but will make all the people living in
NYC envious of the cost of real estate here in flyover island (mls is
2520341):

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Home...me&poe=realtor

That would be a 177 year old house, 3500 sq ft, on half an acre, for
$158,900. Here's another link if that one breaks, and no it's not my
house:

http://fctucker.katabat.com/content/...Number=2520341

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:39:06 -0400, someone wrote:

Why are all systems for searching restricted to particular areas?

Uhh, because Realtors' Associations and MLS systems are regional?
Different regions are not in the same database. So far apparently
nobody is getting paid enough to cross reference all of them in real
time for the purpose you want. Not much demand apparently - at least
for ACTUAL buying activity rather than curiosity.

There is such a thing as a national site search, usually carried out
by a large corportion looking to locate a facility somewhere. It is
the kind of thing they hire a consultant for, not something readily
available on line.

If all you care about is low cost/low value, you might try some census
MSA data to find cheap places, then search MLS there. Seems kinda
hard to go look at the properties the way you are going at it.