Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Grant W. Petty

Default correcting slope of slab in screen porch?

The concrete slab in our screen porch slopes toward the house instead of
away. This is a problem when it storms and blows rainwater into the porch
through the screen or whenever we want to hose it out.

Not sure if it was always like this (it was when we bought the house 5
years ago; the house is 20 years old), or whether it simpled settled.

Is there a simple way to raise an existing slab on one side? I could
imagine, for example breaking, a small hole through on the low side and
pumping mud or something underneath it to raise it. Alternatively, I
suppose we could put an inch or two fresh concrete over the top of it with
the correct slope.

Comments?

thanks
Grant

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Grant W. Petty" wrote:

Is there a simple way to raise an existing slab on one side? I could
imagine, for example breaking, a small hole through on the low side and
pumping mud or something underneath it to raise it. Alternatively, I
suppose we could put an inch or two fresh concrete over the top of it with
the correct slope.

I would think the feasability of putting a layer of concrete on top would depend
on how much room you have on the outside edge. You would need to be able to put
at least 2 inches on the thin edge, wouldn't you?

OTOH, mudjacking is very easy to do and not that expensive. Make sure you get a
reasonably expereinced company as it is possible to crack the slab if you aren't
careful.

Either raise it up or possibly use concrete leveler, which is a layer
of stuff you put on the top. Surface I think, has to be way clean for
it to stick.

IMO I would want to find out why it's sinking and find out the cost of
jacking it up first, as the previous reply alluded.

gary

Grant W. Petty wrote:

The concrete slab in our screen porch slopes toward the house instead of
away. This is a problem when it storms and blows rainwater into the
porch through the screen or whenever we want to hose it out.

Not sure if it was always like this (it was when we bought the house 5
years ago; the house is 20 years old), or whether it simpled settled.

Is there a simple way to raise an existing slab on one side? I could
imagine, for example breaking, a small hole through on the low side and
pumping mud or something underneath it to raise it. Alternatively, I
suppose we could put an inch or two fresh concrete over the top of it
with the correct slope.

Comments?

thanks
Grant

You might consider tiling it and adjusting the level with the tile.

Gary

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:16:08 -0500, someone wrote:

Is there a simple way to raise an existing slab on one side? I could
imagine, for example breaking, a small hole through on the low side and
pumping mud or something underneath it to raise it....

"Simple" in concept perhaps. But cost effective and simple to execute
for a screen porch? I doubt it.