Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

JINGLES

Default Central Air Question

Hi All,

Just moved into a new place that has central air, just in time for
the summer. Couple of questions I have. How much more expensive is it
to run vs a window unit? Will closing the vents in rooms that don't
need the air flow in effect push that air into other rooms? Also, any
tips on getting the most out of this system would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you!

JGL

Jonathan Kamens

"JINGLES" writes:
Just moved into a new place that has central air, just in time for
the summer. Couple of questions I have. How much more expensive is it
to run vs a window unit?

A single central air unit is more expensive to run than a
single window unit. However, that's not really meaningful
considering that the window unit cools one room and the
central air unit usually cools a number of rooms. In general,
the cost of cooling a number of rooms with window units is
more than the cost of cooling those same rooms with central
air.

Will closing the vents in rooms that don't
need the air flow in effect push that air into other rooms?

Yes, and that's a pretty standard way of reducing your
cooling costs.

Also, any
tips on getting the most out of this system would be greatly
appreciated.

Do regular periodic maintenance. Change the air filter
regularly. Use a set-back thermostat, and set it to cool the
house less at night and when you're not home. Don't overcool
the house. If it cools down at night, open the windows
instead of using the central air.
JINGLES

Thank you for the helpfull info!

Make sure that you visually check the outside condensing unit
periodically and clean the condenser fins. The fins will collect dirt,
insects and airborne stuff. Water hose or stiff brush can be used but
be careful as the aluminum fins should not be bent.

Phyllis Stone

"Jonathan Kamens" wrote in message
"JINGLES" writes:
[...]

All very good advice. If you live in a humid climate, opening the windows
will let in moisture. The ac will have to work even harder to get rid of the
moisture, which is one of its functions. Be careful that you have a good
flow of air and don't close off too many areas. We live in a very humid
climate (Houston) and our ac goes about 8 mos of the year.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

JINGLES wrote:
Hi All,

Just moved into a new place that has central air, just in time for
the summer. Couple of questions I have. How much more expensive is it
to run vs a window unit? Will closing the vents in rooms that don't
need the air flow in effect push that air into other rooms? Also, any
tips on getting the most out of this system would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you!

JGL

I find that closing vents/doors only reduces the overall effect of the
A/C. the more vents and doors open, the more the place is evently and
effectively cooled. I cant get good cooling in some places upstairs,
but if I open the doors its all nice.

My Son likes to go places he shouldnt though so it snot always an
option. Im installing a booster fan as soon as I can find a stinkin
relay...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
JINGLES

What kind of relay? Do you have the specs or the mfg model#? I
might be able to help.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

JINGLES wrote:
What kind of relay? Do you have the specs or the mfg model#? I
might be able to help.

well its 24vac to 120vac. I gotta switch how power to the fan motor
with the leeds from the hvac system which are 24vac.

Im thinking a Steveco 90-293Q which has 8A@120VAC inductive load SPDT.
Or Steveco 90-290Q which has 8A@120VAC inductive SPNO.

Their is supposedly a Grainger shop on 8 mile I am going to check out.
They won't let me order parts directly from them online, so I am hoping
the physical store sells parts retail..

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Grainger will not sell to anyone without a commercial account, no
retail. If you tell me what city\town the branch you are looking to
get this item in (Item # 4E659), I may be able to help you... Let me
know.

JJD

Mike

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

JINGLES wrote:
What kind of relay? Do you have the specs or the mfg model#? I
might be able to help.

well its 24vac to 120vac. I gotta switch how power to the fan motor
with the leeds from the hvac system which are 24vac.

I was about to do the relay thing, too, but read a suggestion in another
thread to use the electronic air cleaner (EAC) output (120vac) from the
blower control board to power the booster fan. The advantage of this
(besides not having to buy a relay) is that the EAC output will be
energized at the same time as the blower, which is exactly when you
want it.

Luckily, the control board on my 6 year old Armstrong Ultra SX90 has
unused EAC terminals available for use; I'll be wiring tonight!

(If I don't post a follow-up, it means that I'm too busy finally
enjoying a cool upstairs, or that I burned the house down).

Haven't heard anything back from you yet CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert. But let
me know if you need that Grainger part and I would be happy to help you
get it without a hassle. Just let me know what branch you want to pick
up at in your state and I can set it up as a cash sale for you. The
least I can do to help you for giving me what has been some good advice
on my problem.

JJD

Sales Specialst

W W Grainger Industrial Supply

Central Heating question MXH UK diy 2 February 20th 05 09:30 PM
central heating inhibitor question john Smith UK diy 11 January 15th 05 01:59 PM
Gas Central Heating question p UK diy 4 November 7th 04 09:38 PM
FAQ Question re. central heating Andy Hall UK diy 24 August 14th 03 02:31 PM