Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default screening material questions

If you wanted window screens that would prevent those annoying black
flying bugs such as No-See-Ums from getting in, would a standard mesh
size of 18x16 be good enough?

Also, are the standard aluminum and standard fiberglass hole sizes
(openings) in the screening material the same size?

Sorry, I don't know much about screens.

No

I have never had issues with no-se-ums and normal screening. But I suppose
that in some areas the particular buggies could be smaller. I have seen
recently a new screening with a much finer mesh to avoid the issues with
no-see-ums. Where I see the biggest problem is where the screens do not
properly fit the openings, there could be small spaces around the frame
letting in the bugs.

As far as screen frame sizes go, there is no such thing as a standard size.
They are particular to a particular window. To get one you would need to
contact the window manufacturer to get the screen frames or have them made.
If you have the frame and just need to have the screening replaced then a
local hardware store usually offers that service.

If you have windows, no frames, and the window company is defunct, you could
get these....
http://www.connscreen.com/miva/merch...gory_C ode=PM

As for fiberglass versus aluminum. Aluminum comes in bright and charcoal.
Charcoal lets in less light. Aluminum screens can be deformed, if say, a dog
scratches them. The fiberglass will not do that but it will tare if enough
force is applied. I prefer fiberglass.

If installing new screening into an existing frame yourself (Books on how to
do it are available as well as on-line I'm sure). Fiberglass is harder to do
than aluminum for a first timer IMO.

Good luck.

oups.com...