Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default trying to repair a rusty faucet

Bought a 33 year old home this Winter. My bathtub faucet leaks on both the hot
and cold sides and I really need to try to find a way to fix it. I popped off
the little covers and found a bunch of rust and a regular screw that needs to be
unscrewed for each faucet. But the heads of the screws are partly stripped and
I can't get them to turn unless I want to risk stripping them completely. I put
penetrating oil on them twice now, a lot of rust washes out but I still can not
turn the screws.

How am I going to get these faucets apart so I can change the washers? If I
try and totally bodge it messing up the screws and such I'll have to go with no
water in the entire house until I can get it fixed.

Water also drips out under the faucet handles when they are turned on, I had
that problem with my outdoor faucets and fixed them by repacking them.

I need to get this fixed.. my damn water/sewer bill is killing me. It's also
leaking hot water and must be raising my electric bill.

Replace the faucet?

On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:45:11 -0500, in misc.consumers.house FC
wrote:

Drill the screw head out then replace instead of repair.

FC