Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

racarson

Default Water Heater Expansion Tank

I just put a back flow preventer on my water meter.

The meter is in a pit outside the house. I would estimate the meter/back
flow preventer is 150 ft away from the water heater in the basement.

I have been told that due to the distance between the meter/back flow
preventer and the water heater that I do not need to put an expansion tank
on the water heater.

Does anyone have experience with back flow preventers located 150 ft from
the water heater? Is it necessary to install an expansion tank in such a
situation?

Thanks,
rac

Harry K

racarson wrote:
I just put a back flow preventer on my water meter.

The meter is in a pit outside the house. I would estimate the

meter/back
flow preventer is 150 ft away from the water heater in the basement.

I have been told that due to the distance between the meter/back flow
preventer and the water heater that I do not need to put an expansion

tank
on the water heater.

Does anyone have experience with back flow preventers located 150 ft

from
the water heater? Is it necessary to install an expansion tank in

such a
situation?

Thanks,
rac

A back flow preventer keeps -any- water from moving back into the
system. You therefore have a totally sealed system until you open a
faucet somewhere. Water heaters cause the water to expand thus raising
pressure. Raise it far enough and the TPR valve opens. It doesn't
matter if the backflow preventer is 1ft or 1 mile away, the pressure
will still rise.

Harry K

On 5 May 2005 08:06:12 -0700, someone wrote:

Raise it far enough and the TPR valve opens. It doesn't
matter if the backflow preventer is 1ft or 1 mile away, the pressure
will still rise.

Harry K

Theory over practice.

If the check valve was a distance approaching inifinity away, being
that the total volume of expansion is finite (and rather small), and
there being some (very small) elasticity in the pipes, tank, valves,
water itself, you COULD be far enough away that the now small rise in
pressure (from a very small volume being added to a very large one)
would not be enough to force the valve open.

Has practice shown that 150 feet is enough?

Try it and see. If his T&P keeps dribbling, he could still put the
tank in. But he may find he doesn't need to.

Chris Hill

On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:28:48 -0400, "racarson"
wrote:

I just put a back flow preventer on my water meter.

The meter is in a pit outside the house. I would estimate the meter/back
flow preventer is 150 ft away from the water heater in the basement.

I have been told that due to the distance between the meter/back flow
preventer and the water heater that I do not need to put an expansion tank
on the water heater.

Does anyone have experience with back flow preventers located 150 ft from
the water heater? Is it necessary to install an expansion tank in such a
situation?

I don't know about 150 ft, I do know about 135 feet; I needed an
expansion tank.
rac

expansion tank on hot water heater Jmagerl Home Repair 11 December 6th 04 04:48 PM
Hot Water Expansion Tank Overflowing Peter Cherry UK diy 8 November 20th 04 09:17 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM