Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

News

Default Filling in an cement/vinyl pool

I need to fill in an older, unused vinyl pool in our backyard.
Which type of companies should I contact to fill it in, what materials
besides earth/dirt is used and would there be any possible local regulations
to enquire about. Anyone who has done this before, I would like to find out
a quick note on experience and general cost for the job.

Thank you.
David in Texas

Above ground ? Hahaha !

Seriously though someone in my old neighborhood had this done, it was
not trivial cause there's SO much material needed. I think they took
the liner out and filled it mostly with cheap stone, like on a stone
driveway. A quick calc shows it'd be a couple hundred yards of
material, not sure how much that costs. More if you can't get a
dumptruck back to it.

Mike

Go to your local quarry and ask what the cheapest rock is going to cost
delivered. But, first you need to jackhammer all the concrete decking
around the outside (if any) and dump that in. Try to figure out how
much rock you will need and call in the rock guys. Fill it up until it
reaches 4-6 inches from ground level then call in the top soil guys.
After that you can lay sod or seed it.

Josh

"News" wrote
I need to fill in an older, unused vinyl pool in our backyard.
Which type of companies should I contact to fill it in, what materials
besides earth/dirt is used and would there be any possible local

regulations
to enquire about. Anyone who has done this before, I would like to find

out
a quick note on experience and general cost for the job.

Thank you.
David in Texas

Maybe you mean fiberglass? Anyhow, check with your local building
department. Here, for any inground pool, the concrete/glass must be broken
up. All electric must be disconnected from main power source, and all
plumbing must be incapable of pumping. If you just fill it in, you will
have a nice place for mosquitoes and the like to breed, water won't be able
to drain, and you basically build a swamp/marsh.

On 2 May 2005 07:55:46 -0700, someone wrote:

.... But, first you need to jackhammer all the concrete decking
around the outside (if any) and dump that in.

Before you dump anything in, jack hammer a few big holes through the
bottom too.

Bill

On Sun, 1 May 2005 18:56:16 -0500, "News" wrote:

I need to fill in an older, unused vinyl pool in our backyard.
Which type of companies should I contact to fill it in, what materials
besides earth/dirt is used and would there be any possible local regulations
to enquire about. Anyone who has done this before, I would like to find out
a quick note on experience and general cost for the job.

Thank you.
David in Texas

Hey David,
Why on earth did you buy a house with a swimming pool? At this time of
year it would be easier to fill it with fresh water, stir some
chlorine up in there, circulate the water good with the pool pump and
sell you house to somebody who has lots of children...they just love
swimming pools!

Then you can move to a new house with a nice "solid dirt" backyard!

If you insist on filling it in you can use regular soil. If the soil
is not nice and dry when you dump it in there it will settle more over
the next few months when it gets rained on. You can pay extra to get
good compactable soil that is real dry and have a tamping machine pack
it down for you...then it won't settle much later.

Bill