Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default FSBO Home Appraisals

I am selling my townhome FSBO and would like to ensure my asking price
is in alignment with fair market value. My home has been on the market
about 2 1/2 months now and my thought is to get an appraisal and attach
it to my For Sale flyer. This would let potential buyers know the
price I am asking is below the appraised value.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea?
Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Gina

If you're gonna sell it for less than it's fairly appraised, then why
not get a realtor, get it marketed and in the MLS and pay the 6%? It's
likely you'll sell it faster and probably come out at least as good.
FSBO can work, but if it isn't working for you, I'd get a realtor and
go that route before I cut the price below fair value, especially in
the market right now, which certainly isn't bad in most areas.

On 18 Apr 2005 10:54:28 -0700, someone wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea?

For the $250 to $400 it might cost you, it could give you some peace
of mind. It's a lot less than the commission. When I used to do
residential appraisals, every rare once in a while someone would ask
for this.

Of course the first thing most buyers want from a FSBO, is a 6%
reduction below what they'd pay for a similar listed house, being as
"you won't have to pay a commission".

Therefore many (but not saying all) FSBOs end up taking less than FMV,
so they didn't actually save the whole 6%. I would also often hear
people brag about how they had quickly sold their house and didn't
"need" a Realtor (a specific TM'd term, BTW) - BUT they had sold the
house for hugely below market. So spending the bucks up front on an
appraisal can be a good idea, so you don't accidentally leave money on
the table. Though having been out there a while, you probably didn't.

admin

I think it is a good idea. It would be difficult to give an advice
without knowing what the real problem is?

Your house in the market for 2 1/2 month - are lot of potential buyers
coming looking at your house and turning them down because of the price
or you are not getting enough buyers to see your house? is your house
listed in the hot realestate market?

I sold my house in less than 2 weeks by myself and got the asking
price. The most difficult decision while listing your house FSBO is to
"list your house with right price". I used comparitive report from a
online website and a realtor but all the houses listed there were sold
atleast 2 months back (which means the contract was done 5 months back)
and did not give a realistic price for my house, not to mention that i
was selling house in middlesex county, NJ where prices have doubled in
4 years.

Kris
http://www.yoursalebyowner.com

On 14 May 2005 07:26:35 -0700, someone wrote:

I sold my house in less than 2 weeks by myself and got the asking
price.

Then you probably were not asking enough. Your Buyers got a bargain.

Percival P. Cassidy

I sold a house in three days through an agent at the asking price
recommended by the agent. Perhaps my agent recommended too low a price.

Perce

On 05/17/05 12:10 pm v tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup: