Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default driveway garage floor height?

My husband isn't Mr Fix It, but has a habit of making statements about
construction that he knows nothing about, as they are facts. I have a
27 year list of misinstalled doors, windows, sinks, faucets, etc etc to
prove it. (let me know I'll send photos)

The new problem....He insists that the concrete driveway leading to the
garage has to be at least 1 inch (preferably more, but after my
objections agreed to 1.5" with his fingers)lower than the garage for
drainage. I said I thought there might be a slight angling down of the
garage floor where it meets the driveway, but if he had seen a bigger
difference than that it must have been because the driveway had
settled. I can't imagine driving over a 2 inch bump elevation to put a
car in a garage.

help

John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
" wrote:

The new problem....He insists that the concrete driveway leading to the
garage has to be at least 1 inch (preferably more, but after my
objections agreed to 1.5" with his fingers)lower than the garage for
drainage.

The driveway and the garage floor should meet at exactly
the same level. The lip of the garage floor that extends
outside of the garage should start sloping down, and the
drive way should slope up a bit to meet it. You should
not notice a bump when you drive into the garage.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Thank you so much John. Sometimes it's hard to find info on far out
ideas. You saved me

I'd definitely want the driveway slightly lower than the garage floor
to help eliminate the possibility of water getting into the garage,
especially wind driven rain. I looked at mine and there is about a 1/2
high ridge at the point where the garage door meets the floor. Outside
the door, I have a concrete apron about 2 feet wide. The asphalt
driveway is then down by about another 1/2 inch where it meets the
concrete apron.

No apron, no asphalt here. He wants to pour the concrete so where it
meets the driveway there is a 1.5-2.5 inch DROP. The water will pool
at that point clear across the garage door. A 1/2 inch drop after an
apron that's even with the floor is a differerent thing. Imagine
stepping down 2 inches from the garage to the driveway

On 14 Apr 2005 09:06:30 -0700, someone wrote:

No apron, no asphalt here. He wants to pour the concrete so where it
meets the driveway there is a 1.5-2.5 inch DROP. The water will pool
at that point clear across the garage door. A 1/2 inch drop after an
apron that's even with the floor is a differerent thing. Imagine
stepping down 2 inches from the garage to the driveway

The apron needs to slope away from the garage no matter what.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the driveway being from
zero to slightly (say an inch or two) lower than the garage floor.
But the next few feet of the driveway must still slope away from the
garage.

I wouldn't want a wife who asked anonymous strangers for info to use
against me. Maybe WE (out here on usenet) are just chock full 'o ****.
You expect him to do something, because you CLAIM an anonymous person
that he doesn't even know, said it????

I had a now EX wife like that once. If I said something and she
wanted to contradict me, she would always invoke what she claimed
somebody ELSE said. Never had an opinion that she 'fessed up to being
her own. It was always because somebody else (supposedly) said it.

There is more going on here than home repairs.

KLS

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:30:05 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

In article . com,
" wrote:

The new problem....He insists that the concrete driveway leading to the
garage has to be at least 1 inch (preferably more, but after my
objections agreed to 1.5" with his fingers)lower than the garage for
drainage.

The driveway and the garage floor should meet at exactly
the same level. The lip of the garage floor that extends
outside of the garage should start sloping down, and the
drive way should slope up a bit to meet it. You should
not notice a bump when you drive into the garage.

What he said, ideally, but you also have to consider drainage, if your
climate has any rain or snow. Right now I have a terrible garage
floor that I plan to rip out and regrade and repour. Initially I had
planned to just slope the new floor from the back of the garage to the
doors, but then I realized that the driveway itself also slopes toward
the garage doors, so instead I will be using the old original center
floor drain (which I've tested and confirmed to be working properly)
to get the water under control. This means that the driveway and
garage threshold will remain level to each other (no bump), and my
drainage needs will be met by that center drain in the garage floor.
In a perfect world, I'd do both the driveway and garage and ensure
proper pitch as John Weeks suggests, but the $$ is just not there.