Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default square footage tool?

I am looking for a tool to measure the square footage of the OUTSIDE of
houses. All I can find on google are laser tools that are for inside
of homes. Right now we just take a wheel-type measuring tool and walk
it around all sides of the homes. There must be a better way. Cost is
not an issure. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:05:29 GMT, someone wrote:

I have to ask: is this something you do often? I would think for a one
time measurement a regular 25 or 50 ft tape would work just fine.

I used to do it all the damn time (did residential appraisals) and a
tape worked just fine. Having someone "hold a card" means that a
second person would be needed, though you could tape or tack one to
the house, or stick a reflector in the ground. That's what surveyors
do - they stick a reflector in the ground. However, to walk back and
forth extra times makes this less of an advantage except in unusual
cases where you can't get close to the wall.