Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gregg

Default Driveways Higher than Garage Floor

We have been looking at several homes to purchase lately. We have
found 2 on the same street that we like, but both have an unusual
problem.

In both cases, the homes have a driveway in the back of the home that
slopes away from the attached garage. However, the concrete of the
driveway is 3-4 inches higher than the garage floor. This has
concerned me deeply. These are $300K-$400K homes so I was surprised at
this. The homes were built by different builders 5 years apart (1994
and 1989). They both have pier and beam foundations. I can not, on
visual inspection, see any problems with shifting of the land or of the
homes, but the driveway being higher than the garage is driving me
nuts.

Why on earth would you pour the driveway like that? Thanks for any
help in advance.