Electronics (alt.electronics)

cb

Default Current required for car radio/cd non-switchable lead?

Doesn't anyone know the approximate power or current requirement for the
non-switchable 12VDC lean on a car radio/cd? This is the one that maintains
the memory for station settings, the time, etc.

I'm installing a car radio/cd in my house and will supply it with 12VDC from
a computer power supply which will provide the required 10 amps or so for
the radio/cd to operate.

I don't want to have the power supply on when the radio/cd is not being
used, but I also don't want to lose the memory (time, stations, and
settings) every time I turn it off. My solution will be to use a small
ac/dc adapter for the non-switchable 12VDC which will always be connected.

Thanks for any advice.

loedown

Considering what it has to do, I should think less than 20mA

Paul

cb

Thanks, Paul.

Then almost any $10 or $15 12vdc adapter I can find should do the job --
right?

"loedown" wrote in message
Considering what it has to do, I should think less than 20mA

Paul

loedown

In theory, yes, however it would be advisable to look up whichever
manufacturer the radio is and check the current rating for that line.

Sony supply good information regarding their stereos, as do Pioneer.

The last thing I would add, does the line have a fuse inline, if so check
it's rating, that will let you know an upper limit and say anything 10% and
maybe even as much as 70% below that would be the answer.

Paul