Electronics (alt.electronics)

Jim Rex

Default power adapter... will it explode?

Hello,

I have a pair of speakers that need a 13V and 2A DC power adapter or wall
wart. I lost its wall wart and found a wall wart for another device, which I
have no idea what its for.. it gives out 15V and 400mA DC.

The power adapter I found said on its back that it must not be used with any
other device except..[some brand name]...

Now, I used it with the pair of speakers and it worked!!! Now, i'm worrying
that this configuration could cause it to explode or something....

Will it do any harm???

P.S. (im cross posting to two newsgroups...)

Thank you

DesignGuy

"Jim Rex" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a pair of speakers that need a 13V and 2A DC power adapter or wall
wart. I lost its wall wart and found a wall wart for another device, which

have no idea what its for.. it gives out 15V and 400mA DC.

The power adapter I found said on its back that it must not be used with

any
other device except..[some brand name]...

Now, I used it with the pair of speakers and it worked!!! Now, i'm

worrying
that this configuration could cause it to explode or something....

Will it do any harm???

P.S. (im cross posting to two newsgroups...)

The speakers if they indeed need 2A to operate may damage the 400mA adapter.
The extra 2 volts may or may nto harm the speakers, though likely not. Your
best bet is to find a 12V 2A adapter since 13V is not a common value. Try
Radio Shack or various online merchants such as DigiKey.

Robert Baer

DesignGuy wrote:

"Jim Rex" wrote in message
[...]

It would be far better to use a 12V adaptor with that 2A rating.
Most analog wall warts are unregulated, and they all put out more than
their rated voltage even at full rated load.
In your case, the load may be more than its rated 400mA, which may be
saving your speaker system; the load may be large enough to drop the
voltage down to a safe level.
SolarWind

"Jim Rex" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have a pair of speakers that need a 13V and 2A DC power adapter or wall
wart. I lost its wall wart and found a wall wart for another device, which I
have no idea what its for.. it gives out 15V and 400mA DC.

The power adapter I found said on its back that it must not be used with any
other device except..[some brand name]...

Now, I used it with the pair of speakers and it worked!!! Now, i'm worrying
that this configuration could cause it to explode or something....

Will it do any harm???

P.S. (im cross posting to two newsgroups...)

Thank you

If you don't like to locate another 13V 2A DC power adapter, the
following way may solve your problem:

To find 3 1N4002 power diode in serial with your power adapter before
the plug,
each diode will drop 0.7V DC, and 2.1V for 3 diodes total, the diode
cost is very low, you can find it in any electronic component shop:

| | + 1N4002 x 3 each
--| Adapter | _ 15V DC 12.9V DC

The load of adapter is depending on the volume output of speaker, you
can touch the plastic case to feel the temperature, warm is OK, but
not hot.