Electronics (alt.electronics)

Old May 8th 16, 12:47 AM posted to alt.electronics

Default Servo amplifier?

I know what a servo motor is, and that you can get servo amplifiers (or servo drives) to work with them, but what does it mean when a stereo system says it has a servo amplifier?

--
"You, you, and you ... panic. The rest of you, come with me." - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

Old May 8th 16, 03:09 PM posted to alt.electronics

On Sun, 08 May 2016 15:13:56 +0100, M Philbrook wrote:

In article , says...

I know what a servo motor is, and that you can get servo amplifiers (or servo drives) to work with them, but what does it mean when a stereo system says it has a servo amplifier?

The amp is the part that actually handles the high currents in the
motor coils.

The rest of it before that is the controller that generates the
signals and monitors the motor's position vie the internal feed
back sensors of the motor.

The control could be programmed to generate signal steps per step
command or scaled, meaning that multiple steps can be generated per
step command.
One step of the motor normally is governed by the type of motor
and its feed back system..

For example, systems with internal encoders of 5k or more per
turn have step spaces of 5K or more. etc..

The amplifier can be a dummy type or it could have additional
functions for current controls for step move and control settings
for holding positions etc. Normally additional IO is set up to
trigger these options from the controller itself.

It's best to get the controller and amp together as one. Also
depending on the system of design in mind, you can op for a
master power supply to serve a rack of servo drives or get
stand alones.

Er yes.... but I have a stereo system amplifier which mentions servo. There's no motors involved.

--
How to interpret a Pregnancy Test kit:
Blue means not pregnant.
Old May 10th 16, 04:38 PM posted to alt.electronics

In article , says...

[...]

You must be referring to using a dual amp in bridge mode to drive a DC
motor for positioning an actuator ?

That being the case, you need a feed back for the position that acts as
the voltage comparator feed back signal to the control input amp.

Something in the line of RC (radio control)supplies can get you those.

Jamie

Old May 10th 16, 05:19 PM posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 10 May 2016 16:38:56 +0100, M Philbrook wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

No, it's a stereo amp, for music through speakers. Sansui A-80.

--
Keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your eye on the ball, and your ear to the ground. Then see how much work you get done in that position.

Old May 13th 16, 01:24 AM posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Mr Macaw wrote:

No, it's a stereo amp, for music through speakers. Sansui A-80.

I'm fairly sure that for an audio amp ``servo'' means the freq. response
goes all the way down to D.C.

Old May 13th 16, 11:29 AM posted to alt.electronics

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:47:57 +0100, Mr Macaw wrote:

I know what a servo motor is, and that you can get servo amplifiers (or
servo drives) to work with them, but what does it mean when a stereo
system says it has a servo amplifier?

There is active circuitry to keep the bias at a point where the output
tracks symmetrically between positive and negative voltage excursions.
Old May 13th 16, 01:08 PM posted to alt.electronics

On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:29:21 +0100, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:47:57 +0100, Mr Macaw wrote:

I know what a servo motor is, and that you can get servo amplifiers (or
servo drives) to work with them, but what does it mean when a stereo
system says it has a servo amplifier?

There is active circuitry to keep the bias at a point where the output
tracks symmetrically between positive and negative voltage excursions.

I see. Is this to prevent unnecessary DC current through the speaker creating heat in the coil? Or does it improve sound quality by leaving the cone centred so it doesn't hit the ends of its movement?

--
What is it when a man talks nasty to a woman?
Sexual Harassment.
Old May 13th 16, 03:46 PM posted to alt.electronics

On Fri, 13 May 2016 01:24:02 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Mr Macaw wrote:

No, it's a stereo amp, for music through speakers. Sansui A-80.

I'm fairly sure that for an audio amp ``servo'' means the freq. response
goes all the way down to D.C.

What purpose would that be for? You can't hear anything that low.

--
Murphy says to Paddy, "What ya talkin into an envelope for?" "I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"
Old May 13th 16, 09:32 PM posted to alt.electronics

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:29:21 +0100, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:47:57 +0100, Mr Macaw wrote:

I know what a servo motor is, and that you can get servo amplifiers (or
servo drives) to work with them, but what does it mean when a stereo
system says it has a servo amplifier?

There is active circuitry to keep the bias at a point where the output
tracks symmetrically between positive and negative voltage excursions.

I see. Is this to prevent unnecessary DC current through the speaker
creating heat in the coil? Or does it improve sound quality by leaving
the cone centred so it doesn't hit the ends of its movement?

That's more difficult in a direct coupled amplifier - drift is always a
problem.

There's no way out of incorporating loads of DC only nfb. That has to be
decoupled against the AC signal, the capacitors tend to be bigger than you'd
use for AC coupling.

That means aluminium electrolytics, probably about as bad as it gets for
colouring the audio signal.