Posted to alt.electronics
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Servo amplifier?

On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:29:21 +0100, Wayne Chirnside wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2016 00:47:57 +0100, Mr Macaw wrote:

I know what a servo motor is, and that you can get servo amplifiers (or
servo drives) to work with them, but what does it mean when a stereo
system says it has a servo amplifier?

There is active circuitry to keep the bias at a point where the output
tracks symmetrically between positive and negative voltage excursions.

I see. Is this to prevent unnecessary DC current through the speaker creating heat in the coil? Or does it improve sound quality by leaving the cone centred so it doesn't hit the ends of its movement?

--
What is it when a man talks nasty to a woman?
Sexual Harassment.