Electronics (alt.electronics)

John Schuursma

Default Standby problem Belinea 108020 pc-monitor

Hello,

As I tried to help a handicapped friend who has MS, using his PC for outside
communication, (Dragon Natural Speak) I
approached the local importer and Maxdata Germany for a problem with his
Belinea 108020 monitor. Nor the
importer or Maxdata Germany knew the problem I described and they said they
couldn't help me. Unfortunately the
monitor is out of guarantee since 6 months. Helas, Maxdata was unwilling to
send me a service-manual - not even a
pdf-version - as this was for dealers only.... I therefore bring his
problem here, hoping someone knows what I should
do.

The monitor of my friend goes into "Burn-in mode" (a text "Burn-in" is
visible on the screen ) once the PC goes on
standby. If the monitor is disconnected from the PC the same situation
remains - the monitor doen't go into a normal
standby. As it is very hard for him to reach the monitor-knobs this is very
awkward, he normally relies on the
automatic PC-standby function to have his monitor send to sleep.
Perhaps someone here knows the phenomenon and has a solution and/or a
diagram if it's some faulty hardware? I'm
reasonably handy with the soldering iron and a friend electronics wizz
promised to help, provided I find out where to look. (He's not directly a
computer-lover..). We would be most gratefull indeed if someone could help
us!

John Schuursma

Ken Weitzel

John Schuursma wrote:
[...]

Hi John...

I know nothing whatsoever about your monitor type; nor of
your friends difficulty; but I can offer a little... if I may?

First, the monitor should be in standby when disconnected from
the computer. Default mode of operation is standby; the computer
tells it to "wake up"

Second, I'd strongly suggest that you aren't inadvertantly
using TWO power saving modes. That is, telling bios to
take care of it, and also telling windows to take care of it.

Pick one OR the other, not both.

Take care.

Ken

Jerry G.

Go in to the BIOS set-up of the computer and disable the standby feature at
the BIOS level. Only let the operating system do the standby mode.

If it is beyond this, and all is well with the operating system and the BIOS
set-up, you will have to send the monitor out for proper service. The
problems with the uPC circuits, and the firmware operation of monitors is
complex to service at home. The servicers use proper diagnostics and
troubleshooting to know what is going on.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"John Schuursma" wrote in message
.nl...
[...]

John Schuursma

Hello Jerry and Ken,
thank you both very much for your help. I checked out the BIOS set-up as you
said
and the problem turns out to be "beyond this" as Jerry put it. I allready
feared it would be a uPC-problem and just hoped some factory reset might do
the trick. It didn't. Finding the proper servicer will be the next problem,
the service-centre for Belinea here in Holland wasn't very forthcoming..
We'll work it out. Thanks again!

John S.

"Jerry G." schreef in bericht