Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Freeview box emits piercing beeps - can I kill them?

I've just bought a Freeview box for a partially-sighted member of my family.
I decided on this particular model (TVonics MDR-240) because of its
excellent handling of the Audio Description facility.

Unfortunately, it has one feature that I don't care for: when
channel-changing, a channel with an AD track is identified by a piercing
series of beeps; a channel with no AD also generates beeps but in a
different sequence. As far as I can see there's no option for turning this
off. I've emailed the manufacturer about it, but in the meantime I thought
I'd ask this: since the beeps come from the box itself and not via its audio
output, is it likely that I could disable them physically? I don't suppose
there's anything as obvious as a loudspeaker inside, but is there a likely
to be a fairly obvious beep-emitting component of some kind that I could
identify and somehow smother or perhaps even remove altogether?

My electronics knowledge is pretty rusty (as you can tell) but I used to
dabble a good deal.

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:42:02 AM UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

I had this problem' depending what freeview you have. Click Menu, Accessibility Setting; and untick audio description