Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Noobie looking for LED project help

Howdy!

First of all, I understand electronics on a kindergarten
level. ...but I'm a keen study!

I have a project idea in my head that I would really like to bring to
life. I want to put 16 LED lights in a circle and have them "chase"
each other. Random patterns would also be great (ie: two lights
moving clockwise and anti-clockwise from the 12 or 6 o'clock position
and then back), and if it's possible, a couple of "faded" lights
behind the leader.

Can you even fade a diode? I'm not even sure.

Either way, if there is a kit available or if someone has a URL they'd
be willing to share, I would really appreciate it.

I have a handful of 555 timers as well as a breadboard. I will be
sourcing LEDs online shortly.

Many thanks!
Craig
Posted to alt.electronics

TheMilkGuy
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 03:21

Howdy!

First of all, I understand electronics on a kindergarten
level. ...but I'm a keen study!

I have a project idea in my head that I would really like to bring to
life. I want to put 16 LED lights in a circle and have them "chase"
each other. Random patterns would also be great (ie: two lights
moving clockwise and anti-clockwise from the 12 or 6 o'clock position
and then back), and if it's possible, a couple of "faded" lights
behind the leader.

Can you even fade a diode? I'm not even sure.

Yes, by either pulse-width-modulation (PWM) - google it, or by limiting the
current (analogue style). Drive the LEDs open-collector style or through a
rectifier diode and put a small electrolytic capacitor across the
resistor+LED connection. That will provide a little residual charge to give
you a simple fade effect. Mess about with the capacitor value until it's how
you want.

Either way, if there is a kit available or if someone has a URL they'd
be willing to share, I would really appreciate it.

Where are you?

Maplin in the UK do stuff like this (random kits).

I have a handful of 555 timers as well as a breadboard. I will be
sourcing LEDs online shortly.

What you want to do is a bit fiddly with basic logic chips, but not
impossible. I'll let someone else suggest something.

Most folk now would just wop out the AVR or PIC one-chip microcomputer and
write a C program. But it's good to try some proper electronics. Good luck

--
Tim Watts

Posted to alt.electronics

Thanks for the reply Tim,

I live in Canada, but I'll have a look into Maplin.

I think I'll try to keep things analogue - my knowledge level is so
low I'll spend my morning googling most of the phrases you used! haha

Cheers,
Craig

On Apr 6, 3:56*am, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.electronics

TheMilkGuy
wibbled on Tuesday 06 April 2010 14:03

Thanks for the reply Tim,

I live in Canada, but I'll have a look into Maplin.

I think I'll try to keep things analogue - my knowledge level is so
low I'll spend my morning googling most of the phrases you used! haha

Ok.

In that case, the classic way to start would be 10 leds and a CD4017 counter
(or one of the many modern pin-equivalents with "4017" in the name) + 555.

The 4017 takes a clock in from the 555 and sequentially fires one (and only
one at a time) of 10 outputs.

16 could be done with a binary counter and 4 to 16 binary decoder.

The 4017 will drive an LED directly at modest currents.

The LED circuit might look like:

C1
---------- |----------| |------------------|
DRV--| R1 |--| |
---------- | --------- |
--------| R2 |------||--------
--------- LED

R1 is to limit the inrush current to C1 (to protect the chip driving DRV)
R2+R1 should be so that the LED draws about 5mA (assume the LED drops 2V,
then apply Ohms law to the difference between your supply voltages minus 2V
at 5mA.

R2 several times (3-5) times the value of R1 (guesstimate, experimentation
needed)

C1 - try anything from 10-470uF until it looks right. There are ways to
calculate this, but it's probably better for you just to play.

Choose a mega bright LEDs (more light for your 5mA). Old fashioned
"standard" ones will be a bit lame driven like this.

Expect to burn out one of your driver chips (the 4017) Buy 2 or 3.

Have fun

BTW, the "old" CMOS CD4017 will work at all sorts of supply voltages (4 or
5-15V IIRC). Many of the new fancy types are aimed at TTL 5V or 3.3V
"modern" logic standards, which makes them fussier to supply. For fiddling,
I always preferred the old CMOS CD40xx series as anything from 6V battery
pack, 9V PP3 or 12V wall wart would suffice to power them. But watch out for
static electricity - you can fry them just by touching them. The old simple
trick is a bit of wire, bared and wrapped around your wrist, or tucked under
a watch strap. The other end is clipped to a radiator pipe or other earthy
bit of metal (do NOT wire to a mains plug, even the earth pin, - proper
earth anti-static plugs have resistors in them for safety. A wire in a plug
has too many ways to go wrong and zap you in lethal ways.

--
Tim Watts

Project help [email protected] Metalworking 6 February 27th 08 09:03 PM
ash project DDG Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 January 2nd 08 03:13 AM
Wood Noobie Chilla Woodworking 2 November 8th 06 03:38 AM
Noobie trying to repair car stereo that went bang.. ArgGrr Electronics Repair 6 December 29th 04 07:39 PM
Book for a self making Noobie Gordon Trooth Woodworking 3 October 22nd 03 05:21 PM