Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design

Default Light timer/dimmer?

I have a need to control a light fixture in my home. At a certain time I
need the light to come on and later on the light should go out. The problem
is that I need it to change states slowly. Load could be anything between
100 and 600 watts.

It would be nice to find something that fits in a 1 gang electrical box, but
I haven't been able to find anything.

I also have the need for something similar, controlling about a dozen LEDs,
for the lighting in a fish tank.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do these?

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design

"Calab" wrote in message news:4dCbk.56339$Jx.13974@pd7urf1no...

I have a need to control a light fixture in my home. At a certain time I
need the light to come on and later on the light should go out. The problem
is that I need it to change states slowly. Load could be anything between
100 and 600 watts.

It would be nice to find something that fits in a 1 gang electrical box, but
I haven't been able to find anything.

I also have the need for something similar, controlling about a dozen LEDs,
for the lighting in a fish tank.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do these?

The very last circuit (Varying brightness AC lamp) on the page at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...wden/page4.htm looks to be
straightforward and easy to build. No expensive or exotic parts; give it a
look.

If you'd rather have a kit, look at the slow dimmer kit at
http://youdoitelectronics.com/Kits/id1226.htm, kit #K8029 (SLOW ON-OFF DIMMER).
Oopsss.. that one will only handle 200 watts. You could probably replace the
triac in the kit with a higher current type... and you might have to put it on a
heatsink for the higher power loads. You can probably find that kit at a number
of other web vendors.. just Google for Velleman K8029. Looks like the PC board
might fit inside a box... but you need to measure to be sure.

The dimmers above are the slow dimmer portion only, they will not control the
times your lights turn & off. For that, I recommend that you look at an
appliance timer from your local home improvement or tool center. Something like
the timer at
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95205.
That should get you going in short order.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design

I have a need to control a light fixture in my home. At a certain time I
need the light to come on and later on the light should go out. The problem
is that I need it to change states slowly. Load could be anything between
100 and 600 watts.

I believe that some of the professional-grade X10 light-dimmer control
circuits have this basic capability, and there are probably some
variations that can handle up to 600 watts.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design

"BobW" wrote in message
news |
| "Calab" wrote in message
|
| I have a need to control a light fixture in my home. At a certain time I
| need the light to come on and later on the light should go out. The
| problem
| is that I need it to change states slowly. Load could be anything
between
| 100 and 600 watts.

| I used to be an X10 fan, but now it's Zwave, for me. It's very cool
| technology.
|
| The Home Settings line from Intermatic stuff will do exactly what you want
| it to (timing, soft on, soft off).
|
| http://www.homesettings.com/

Thanks!

The modules are a bit pricey, but I don't need many. I'm going to try the
Zwave stuffs.