Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Newbie Questions - mV

Hi,
I'm a newbie and wanting some advaice. I just purchased a multi-meter and
was wondering when I check the charge or voltage of a 1.5 battery, do I
place the switch selector to DCV on 2000m or do I place it on 200m? I am
confused as to what is the correct choice and proper voltage selection. I
know that for a 9 volt battery I place the selector on DCV 20 and I correct?

Posted to alt.electronics

Starman wrote:
Hi,
I'm a newbie and wanting some advaice. I just purchased a multi-meter and
was wondering when I check the charge or voltage of a 1.5 battery, do I
place the selector to DCV on 2000m or do I place it on 200m? I am
confused as to what is the correct choice and proper voltage selection. I
know that for a 9 volt battery I place the selector on DCV 20 and I correct?

--------------------------
What Brand & Model is your meter?

For a BK Precision
Sw. it to DC - Dial it to the shortest top range on your meter for the
eestimated value of ythe battery., say 2 or the nearest 10th or 20 if your
meter doesn't any other.
Any scale will give you, as accurate a result you need - 10's 100's 1000's.,
and anything under 1 VDC you user the 200m range.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 05:24:41 GMT, "Starman"
wrote:

Hi,
I'm a newbie and wanting some advaice. I just purchased a multi-meter and
was wondering when I check the charge or voltage of a 1.5 battery, do I
place the switch selector to DCV on 2000m or do I place it on 200m?

---
Assuming 'm' means 'milli', then 2000m = 2V, so you place it on 2000m.
---

I am
confused as to what is the correct choice and proper voltage selection.

---
You place the selector switch on the range which is higher than, but
closest to, the voltage you expect. If you don't know what to expect,
always start on the highest range and switch down until the meter
gives you the best reading without going into overload.

Be extremely careful on high voltages.
---

I know that for a 9 volt battery I place the selector on DCV 20 and I correct?

---
Yes.

JF
Posted to alt.electronics

"Starman" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm a newbie and wanting some advaice. I just purchased a multi-meter and
was wondering when I check the charge or voltage of a 1.5 battery, do I
place the switch selector to DCV on 2000m or do I place it on 200m? I am
confused as to what is the correct choice and proper voltage selection. I
know that for a 9 volt battery I place the selector on DCV 20 and I
correct?

------------------

Start on the 20V range and see if the reading is below 2V which is 2000mv.
1mv =1/1000 volt.
Some meters do this for you but if this is not the case, then start on the
highest range and work down. Also read any instructions that came with the
meter - it helps.
--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer

Posted to alt.electronics
Roy Roy is offline

Yep., basicly that's it - select the type of measure dc/ac, select the
nearest range higher than the known voltage, your results should be
available in the =.0 area of the screen - if you are on the lowest
range of the known voltage and everything is left to the .0 the known
voltage source is lowrt than average There are so many ways and short
cuts., Experience will teach you best..

Good Luck and don't forget the safety recomendations concerning higher
voltages & household currents.....

[I googled but couldn't find your meter]

Roy Q.T. ~ US/NCU ~ E.E. Technician
[have tools, will travel]