Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Elementary question about home multiplugsŠ

Hello and thanks for taking the time,

All my floor lamps carry a warning not to exceed 300 watts. If I have
2 or 3 or 4 lamps in the same multiplug, am I abusing the circuit it's
plugged into? And what is the top end of the total wattage before it
becomes unsafe? Sorry the question is so elementary, but I'd really
kind of like to know.

Thank you,
NotSparky
Posted to alt.electronics

Default Elementary question about home multiplugsS

"NotSparky" wrote in message
Hello and thanks for taking the time,

All my floor lamps carry a warning not to exceed 300 watts. If I have
2 or 3 or 4 lamps in the same multiplug, am I abusing the circuit it's
plugged into? And what is the top end of the total wattage before it
becomes unsafe? Sorry the question is so elementary, but I'd really
kind of like to know.

Thank you,
NotSparky

Volts x Amps = Watts

If you have a 120 volt outlet that is rated for 15 amps then (120 x 15 =
1800 watts).
You do have to take into account other items fed off of the same circuit.
For example, the outlet that your lamp is plugged into might also be fed
from the same circuit that your TV is fed from.
Find out which circuit breaker is feeding that circuit and turn it off. Now
go around that area and see which outlets are "dead."
Once you have an idea which outlets are all on the same circuit you can add
up all the things plugged into that circuit.
If the total number of watts is close to or over 1800 then you are running
the risk of overloading that circuit.

As far as the warning, most lamps carry that warning not because the
manufacturer thinks you will be overloading the circuit but because of the
heat generated by the light bulb. The manufacturer is saying that if you run
more then 300 watts in that lamp then the heat from that bulb may generate
enough heat to be a fire risk.

Posted to alt.electronics

In article , caveat
wrote:

"NotSparky" wrote in message
[...]

Thank You caveat! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Much
appreciated. NotSparky
Posted to alt.electronics

In article , NotSparky
wrote:

Hello and thanks for taking the time,

All my floor lamps carry a warning not to exceed 300 watts. If I have
2 or 3 or 4 lamps in the same multiplug, am I abusing the circuit it's
plugged into? And what is the top end of the total wattage before it
becomes unsafe? Sorry the question is so elementary, but I'd really
kind of like to know.

Thank you,
NotSparky

(caveat answered and told me exactly what I needed to know.)