Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
lou lou is offline

Default power supply....

Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).
The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?
Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

Thanks!

Please cc: my email address if possible.

Louis

Posted to alt.electronics

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:46:52 -0800 (PST), lou
wrote:

Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).

---
Something's wrong there.

Power is equal to the product of voltage and current, so:

P = IE = 12V * 1.5A = 18 watts

or, for 0.5W:

P 0.5W
I = --- = ------ ~ 0.042A
E 12V

---

The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?

---
Yes; the radio will only draw the current it needs.
---

Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

---
As long as the power supply looks like a voltage source the quality
of the sound won't suffer.
---

--
JF
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

Hi!
Would appreciate some help.

Was thinking of using a car radio at home. Specs read current
consumption 1.5A (at .5W).

---
Something's wrong there.

Power is equal to the product of voltage and current, so:

P = IE = 12V * 1.5A = 18 watts

or, for 0.5W:

P 0.5W
I = --- = ------ ~ 0.042A
E 12V

I think the OP's specificatins rate current at .5W of audio output...

---

The fuse is 5A.

DC power supply should be at least 1.5A but can I go up to 4A without
harming the radio?

---
Yes; the radio will only draw the current it needs.

Assuming the power supply is regulated and doesn't allow the voltage
to rise significantly as current drops.

---

Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

---
As long as the power supply looks like a voltage source the quality
of the sound won't suffer.
---

Assuming the power supply is regulated and doesn't allow the voltage
to change significantly as audio levels change.
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

[...]

See "As long as the power supply looks like a voltage source"...
below.
---

Not sure if I would gain any improvement in sound.

---
As long as the power supply looks like a voltage source the quality
of the sound won't suffer.
---

Assuming the power supply is regulated and doesn't allow the voltage
to change significantly as audio levels change.

---
What do you think a voltage source does?

--
JF
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

[...]

You know, I know, but does the OP know? g

Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

[...]

Dunno, but he will if he reads and understands this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_source

--
JF