Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

Default Novice needs help with crazy project

Gurus,

I need your help...

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the
triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to
solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip
a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the
next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and
need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course
and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old
digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back
of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles.

Sound crazy? I did a Google search and found that someone has
patented the same idea...

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20060620.html

The thing is, as far as I can tell it's never been built, and I need
your help to build it.

I took apart a digital camera and was able to power it up and get an
image on the LCD, but the LCD is connected to the camera by what looks
like a proprietary 24 wire ribbon cable and connector that I would
need to build an extension to. Any ideas if that is possible? It
would need to be about 15"-20" long to go from the back of my head to
the front of my goggles. The ribbon is about 1" now. Do you think
the picture quality would get much worse at 15"?

Another issue is that the camera has a lot of extra stuff on it that I
don't need. Do you think there is a way to trim it down to just the
ccd, lcd, a battery and a switch? Do you think a phone would be a
better starting point? I took apart a broken camera phone and I was
able to separate the pieces - but it has the same issue - a very thin
proprietary ribbon cable.

Any other ideas? Am I crazy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jerry

p.s. please respond to my e-mail and the group.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

have you considered one of those wrist watch TVs with an NTSC input, and one
of those super-mini security cams ??

might be easier to waterproof integrated units like that compared to a
custom setup like you described, and completely eliminates custom connectors
from the problem !!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gurus,

I need your help...

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the
triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to
solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip
a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the
next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and
need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course
and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old
digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back
of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles.

Sound

Will such a device be illegal in competition?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

You must have a pretty big head if it takes 15" to get from to the back to
one eye.
But seriously I think that you could make the thing work without lengthening
the cable.
You don't really need to mount it on the back of your head because you don't
need to see ahead all of the time, just once in a while. The real issue is
that you need the camera to point up instead of forward like your eyes.

So you could mount the camera on the side of your goggles (at the temple)
pointing up with the screen on front of the lens of one eye and a lens on
the inside of the goggles to allow you to focus that close. Each time you
take a breath the camera will be at the highest point on your head offering
the best view forward. You would probably have to swim with your head
rotated slightly to avoid the drag that immersing the camera would add. Pot
the whole thing up solid with bathtub calk for waterproofing and you're good
to go until the battery runs down.

"jerry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Mar 17, 2:16 pm, "jim menning" wrote:
"jerry" wrote in message

oups.com...

Gurus,

I need your help...

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the
triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to
solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip
a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the
next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and
need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course
and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old
digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back
of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles.

Sound

Will such a device be illegal in competition?- Hide quoted text -

Not yet!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...307-3/US070627...

[...]

from the problem !!- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, the cameras look small enough, but the receivers would be to
large to mount infront of my face.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:04:28 -0700, jerry wrote:

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the
triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to
solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip
a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the
next turn buoy.

Your major problem is your swimming technique. When do you breathe?
How much effort does it take to glance up at the bouy while you're
taking a breath? Or are we talking snorkel here?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

jerry wrote:

[...]

The ribbon cable is a standard in the electronics industry and
different lengths are available; did not look to see if 15 inch length
available.
THe worst problem is reliably sealing all of the electronics from
water and moisture.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't bathtub caulk use acetic acid to cure, like the original
silicone RTV?
If so, *do* *NOT* use that crap; it will corrode the electronics!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gurus,

I need your help...

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the
triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to
solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip
a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the
next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and
need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course
and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old
digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back
of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles.

Sound crazy? I did a Google search and found that someone has
patented the same idea...

Use a waterproof GPS with earphone. My GPS is much too old to guess about
how to get the voice to direct you around way points. Or maybe the display
could be separated. Brings up the question of how/where are you going to put
the display where it can be seen/focused on while swimming. Get bonus points
for making the antenna look like a shark fin.

Crazy ideas........easy, making them work...........priceless.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

---
But, if it's patented, it'll be illegal for you to build one.

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

Illegal to sell it, or to profit by using it. But building one for fun?
Don't think so.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

From the 'keep it simple' school of design: Consider something like a
periscope. Optics only, no electronics.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Porsche 928: 0 to c in 2.125 years, 2.435 light-years per mile^3 of gas
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

It doesn't matter what you want to build it for, if you don't have
the patent owner's permission it's infringement.

For an overview, go to:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac...l/infringe.htm

and for more detail:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac..._U_S_C_271.htm

--
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

Not true. It can legally be built to learn what is being taught in
the patent and even extend the patent.

For an overview, go to:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac...l/infringe.htm

and for more detail:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac..._U_S_C_271.htm

Check out the "education" exemption.

--
Keith
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:35:46 -0400, krw Gave us:

Not true. It can legally be built to learn what is being taught in
the patent and even extend the patent.

Not without permission dumbass.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

jerry wrote:
[...]

How about using a CCD security camera and an NTSC LCD display? I have a
small panel I found surplus that accepts standard video, the optics
could get clunky though.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

Jack wrote:
You must have a pretty big head if it takes 15" to get from to the back to
one eye.
But seriously I think that you could make the thing work without lengthening
the cable.
You don't really need to mount it on the back of your head because you don't
need to see ahead all of the time, just once in a while. The real issue is
that you need the camera to point up instead of forward like your eyes.

As much as I like fancy gadgets, it occurred to me that perhaps this is
the wrong approach. How about a simple periscope type device? No
electronics to get wet, no batteries to go dead, no wiring or connectors
to worry about, nice and simple.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:20:44 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
John Fields wrote:

---
But, if it's patented, it'll be illegal for you to build one.

Illegal to sell it, or to profit by using it. But building one for fun?
Don't think so.

Building one for education (to learn the art being taught in the
patent) is fine. Building one to avoid paying for a widget? Very
doubtful, but who is going to come after you?

---
Whether someone is going to come after you or not is beside the
point. The law states that the inventor is entitled to benefit from
his effort in inventing and then disclosing the invention for the
benefit of mankind and, without his permission, copies of the
invention for practical use may not be made during the lifetime of
the patent.

Since the OP knows that the device has been patented, if he copies
it without the permission of the inventor then he's infringed the
patent and denied the inventor income which should have accrued to
him.

There really is no problem here, and if the OP wants to copy the
invention and avoid any heartburn at all, all he has to do is get
permission from the owner of the patent.

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:35:46 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

True. Good catch.
---

For an overview, go to:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac...l/infringe.htm

and for more detail:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac..._U_S_C_271.htm

Check out the "education" exemption.

---
Agreed.

My point, though, was that if the OP copies the patent for practical
use he'll be infringing the patent unless he gets permission to copy
it from the owner of the patent.

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in news:1174151068.228643.306840
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the
triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to
solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip
a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the
next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and
need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course
and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old
digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back
of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles.

Cool idea, but.... realistically.... wearing this while you swim will
slow you down...

First of all the drag with the water flowing around it (instead of your
smooth head). Second, the mass will make it more difficult to swing your
head over to take a breath. Third, trying to make sense of that jiggly
image your display is showing you will break your concentration.

Better way: Train a fish to swim the course and just follow it. (Or
build an artificial fish with an internal GPS that you program with the
course.) Or a GPS mounted on your back that steers you by giving you
electrical shocks in the ribs if you get off course.

Alternatively, a monitor with a bird's-eye view of you and the course
markers (aloft on a big balloon or model airplane) would remove the
optics and electronics from your body. Just build a receiver that straps
on your back and gives you electrical shocks to the ribs when you're
getting off course.

Say, can't you just follow the competitor in front of you? Aren't you
all swimming exactly the same course?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On Mar 17, 2:16 pm, "jim menning" wrote:

"jerry" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

Absolutely *NOT* true.
It is OK for one to build a device for one's own use; what is
protected is *selling* the devices without a licence from the patent owner.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

You are correct (as usual).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
CJT CJT is offline

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

I think you should check your facts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
YD YD is offline

Late at night, by candle light, John Fields
penned this immortal opus:

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

A one-off for personal use is allowed.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
YD YD is offline

Late at night, by candle light, "jerry"
penned this immortal opus:

[...]

Optical periscope. A tube with some lenses and mirrors.

- YD.
--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:46:24 -0300, YD Gave us:

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

One used to be able to make a "cable box" for "experimental
purposes".

They still may, but using it on the cable line is where the felony
theft of service comes in. Doesn't do much just sitting there without
a cable hooked to it.

If I EVER made a "one off" of someone else's patented product or
process, I would certainly be in correspondence with that person.

It is just plain good civil practice, and if you claim to be a
member of civil society, you should have enough presence of mind to
know the difference between an experiment and a rip off or avoidance
of paying one's dues.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Mar 17, 9:59 pm, James Sweet wrote:
Jack wrote:
You must have a pretty big head if it takes 15" to get from to the back to
one eye.
But seriously I think that you could make the thing work without lengthening
the cable.
You don't really need to mount it on the back of your head because you don't
need to see ahead all of the time, just once in a while. The real issue is
that you need the camera to point up instead of forward like your eyes.

As much as I like fancy gadgets, it occurred to me that perhaps this is
the wrong approach. How about a simple periscope type device? No
electronics to get wet, no batteries to go dead, no wiring or connectors
to worry about, nice and simple.

I tried using a mirror, but because of the angle I needed it produced
way to much drag. I thought a small LCD could be mounted flater and
produce less drag. A periscope would produce even more drag. But
mayby some type of medical scope/device could be used? Anyway, thanks
for the ideas.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 06:41:14 GMT, Robert Baer
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

---
But, if it's patented, it'll be illegal for you to build one.

Absolutely *NOT* true.
It is OK for one to build a device for one's own use; what is
protected is *selling* the devices without a licence from the patent owner.

---
Absolutely, totally, incontrovertibly wrong.

I posted these links befo

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac...l/infringe.htm

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac..._U_S_C_271.htm

Didn't you bother to read them?

This subject has come up in these newsgroups before, and the last
time it did I called the USPTO and talked to one of the people there
about infringement and whether it was legal to copy a patent for
one's own use and the answer was a resounding NO!

Makes sense if you think about it. What if you were an inventor and
everyone made a copy of your invention for their own use. Where
would that leave you?

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:46:24 -0300, YD wrote:

Late at night, by candle light, John Fields
penned this immortal opus:
---
But, if it's patented, it'll be illegal for you to build one.

A one-off for personal use is allowed.

---
No, it isn't. Contact the USPTO if you don't believe me:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:37:56 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...

"jerry" wrote in message

[...]

No, it is not.

Yeth it is ;-)

But you may not profit from the "personal use".

There are some special cases that have been handled by additional
law... for instance cable boxes, homemade, for "personal use", were
legal until "theft-of-service" laws were written.

Why do you think so many schematics are labeled "for educational
purposes only" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:16:20 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

snip
My point, though, was that if the OP copies the patent for practical
use he'll be infringing the patent unless he gets permission to copy
it from the owner of the patent.

I've been learning from reading these points. But I believe you are
taking a narrow view, here. In Europe, I gather any implementation of
a patent that's just for personal use is completely exempt. So this
may be a US-only thing.

Jon

Fencing novice jezza UK diy 4 December 14th 06 08:10 AM
PDU Help for a Novice AndyJ UK diy 8 November 23rd 06 09:51 PM
NOVICE PROJECT J T Woodworking 0 February 13th 05 01:07 AM
Novice Richard Clements Woodworking 11 August 28th 04 10:01 PM
novice plasterer EmmaFreegard UK diy 11 September 25th 03 01:48 AM