Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Low Voltage Project

I want to build a low voltage (24VDC) control system that I can make direct
changes from my pc. When I am not making changes to the system will run
automatically from the previous settings or instructions. The system
requirements a

1.. Electronic automatic flow control valve (2)
2.. Pump (2) ( I have that)
3.. Temperature sensors (4) (With temperature alarms if possible)
4.. Heating element (24VDC)

This is a proto-type home bio-diesel system. It must heat a specified
amount of waste oil for a determined amount of time. Since waste oil varies
from one company to another, the system must be adjustable (preset
instruction routines will be pre-programmed). When this is done (this is
where the temperature sensors and alarm systems come in) the bio-diesel is
distilled in a fractional column when exacting temperature must be
maintained.

So, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thank you,

Jim

Posted to alt.electronics

I am not an expert by any means, but it seems to me you might want to
check out Parallel Port Relay Boards. There is lot's of information on
the web regarding these boards (here's one:
http://joevennix.blogspot.com/2006/1...est-entry.html)
and they're relatively easy/cheap to build. As for sensors I do not know
enough about using the PPort as a input to give you any ideas there.

Note, if you have problems programming the parallel port pins to turn on
and off, and get confused, check out the 'parapin' package for linux
systems, it's really handy.

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
http://www.logix4u.net/parallelport1.htm

sincerely, distatica

Jim K wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.electronics

Ooops, forgot... Programming the parallel port (or any port attached to
your computer) can be extremely dangerous to your PC's health (and yours
if the amount of power is enough), always double, triple, and quadruple
check your connections and if possible test with an old 'beater' computer.

snip

Posted to alt.electronics

Jim K wrote:
[...]

Try a simple microprocessor system such as the picaxe(.co.uk) which could
deal with the control side of things while the PC is on or off, could be
preset to change to different saved settings via the flick of a switch, and
is entirely programmable over serial port with BASIC symbolic language and
instructions like "readtemp" and "HIGH 1" for switching output 1 on. You
can even create a flow diagram using the free software and its
automatically converted to BASIC ready to be downloaded to the chip. The
only requirements will be that you use either the prototyping boards and
adapt one and include interface hardware for the heater elements (like
logic mosfets as solid state switches). All fairly simple and runs off
battery or a wall-wart type power supply of 5v. I have one monitoring and
controlling the rainwater storage tanks in our house, controlling the
shuffling of water between tanks depending on demand etc - they really are
versatile. Once you have written the control program you just leave it to
its own devices - change a switch if you bring in a batch from a different
company and need extra heating time/temp or the like.