Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default DVD player problem...

Well gang, I finally decided to come into the 21st century and get a DVD
player...

My mom was hounding me to get one for years. I kept saying "They're still new
now but give it time. People will be throwing them out eventually just like
VCRs"

So I managed to get my hands on a discarded Samsung DVD-511.

I hooked it up to the AUX input on my TV (works like a "channel 0"). It plays
audio CDs fine but when I play a DVD I get sound only, no picture. Other than
that it seems to work great.

It did not come with a remote. Do I need to use one?

Well the price was right anyway. I suppose I can always use it as a second CD
player at the very least, but it would be nice to get this thing working.

Posted to alt.electronics

Ernie Werbel wrote:
Well gang, I finally decided to come into the 21st century and get a DVD
player...

My mom was hounding me to get one for years. I kept saying "They're still new
now but give it time. People will be throwing them out eventually just like
VCRs"

So I managed to get my hands on a discarded Samsung DVD-511.

I hooked it up to the AUX input on my TV (works like a "channel 0"). It plays
audio CDs fine but when I play a DVD I get sound only, no picture. Other than
that it seems to work great.

It did not come with a remote. Do I need to use one?

Well the price was right anyway. I suppose I can always use it as a second CD
player at the very least, but it would be nice to get this thing working.

It is possible that the video output is set to SVideo...while you need
composite video. You need a remote to change this. You might be able
to find a cheap "universal" remote that will work it. But why bother?
You can buy a brand-new machine with greater capabilities for US$30 or
less if you watch for sales.