Default DVD player problem

I have a 2-year old Hitachi Progressive-Scan DVD player with problems.
Some discs (it seems to be worse with dirty or scratched ones) it won't
play at all- it can't find the disc. Others, it starts getting jerky
or freezing up partway through. I thought it might just be dirt on the
lens, but I tried cleaning it and the problem persists. Any thoughts?

BTW, my electronics proficiency is modest, so if this is something
difficult to fix, I'm probably chucking the unit.

How did you try cleaning it?
Use a basically worthless Cleaning cd?
Or a cotton swab slightly wet with plastic eyeglass cleaner and the top
cover open?

Other people will say to use alcohol to clean the lens. I do not
because some manufactures claim it can damage the coating on the
plastic lens. Since I am generally lazy when it comes to looking up
which ones can use it and which ones say not to use it when all the
unit needs is an obvious cleaning, I use the generally accepted and
always safe plastic eyeglass lens cleaning solution.

Beyond that, the laser could be simply getting weak or the spindle
motor could be having problems.

Read the FAQ on cd players: www.repairfaq.org.

I used alcohol on a cotton swab, as I've done in the past with CD
players. It doesn't seem to have caused any worsening of the problem,
it just hasn't effected it. Hence I lean towards the last 2
possibilities you mentioned.

Mark D. Zacharias

"nolsar" wrote in message
news
U should buy a cheap brand $30 player, like norcent, apex, the cheap brand
players play better and more types of files than the expensive ones.
wrote in message
ups.com...
I used alcohol on a cotton swab, as I've done in the past with CD
players. It doesn't seem to have caused any worsening of the problem,
it just hasn't effected it. Hence I lean towards the last 2
possibilities you mentioned.

I would suggest a Pioneer. Decent price for a much better player than the
cheapies.

Mark Z.