Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.electronics
sean

Default Electric Problem

Hi,

I have an electrical problem which I am hoping to solve. Basically I have a
moped with an ignition switch which has 5 points. I also have 4 wires which use
to connect to these points. However, I have no idea of the correct wiring as I
have no wiring diagram.

I have used a meter to determine what connections are being made on the ignition
points when in the 'ON' and 'OFF' state and noted the different connections
being made. I am presuming when the ignition is switched ON, connections are
being made within the ignition itself, which makes the 4 wires connect in a
specific way to create a working circuit and then enables you to start the bike.
And when the ignition is switched OFF, the circuit is broken and power is lost
to the bike.

Heres a rough diagram of the ignition barrels points:

IGNITION OFF

1________5
\ /
\ /
2 \ / 4
\ /
3

Point 1 connects to point 5
Point 5 connects to point 3
Point 3 connects to point 1

IGNITION ON

1_______5

2_________4

3

Point 1 connects to point 5
Point 2 connects to point 4

I have a photo with the circuit diagrams if you want to have a clearer look:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...1/ignition.jpg

I have also tested the wires and come to this conclusion:

Red = +12v ( This comes from the + point of the battery
Black = -12v ( This comes from the - point of the battery
Black/White = ? ( This has no current at all, could be the 'KILL' point to
prevent bike from starting?)
Green = +12v ( Seems to provide power to the lighting system)

I tested black with green and it came up with 12v and I found this green wire
connects to the head lamp and so I presume this provides current for the
lighting system and the red wire is to start the engine) The problem is,
looking at the ON and OFF diagrams, I am not sure what's going on. I can see
something is going on, but not entirely sure what. So my question is simply
this, can anyone see any logical way for these wires to be connected to create a
working circuit on the basis of the above diagrams?

Thanks for reading and any advice on this matter

Regards,
Sean