Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default How to stop Piracy?

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame.
Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software
company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He
told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most
company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech
industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher
costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I
understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized
this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country
like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the
piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Seeking for a customer centered PCB fabricator with high-quality and
most cost-effective service?
SynKore is your perfect option!
Send email to or visit
www.idealpcb.com,
www.advpcb.com,

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Joel Kolstad

"Alexander" wrote in message
If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

If you make everything at Wal*Mart free there is no need for shoplifting.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Dave

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

Um, so how would a software business function.
Maybe software should be resonably priced.

Regards
Dave

--

Alexander

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Jasen Betts

On 2006-04-18, Dave wrote:

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

Um, so how would a software business function.

people would pay it money to write software.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
John Fields

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:38:44 +0200, "Alexander"
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

---
Simple. For every instance that a pirated item is dicovered in
China, the Chinese government will pay the injured party the full
retail price of the item in the injured party's currency.

Either that, or kill the pirates.

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

---
You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

It's not. Theft is theft, and the fault lies in the thief and, in
the case of China, with the mindset of the Chinese government, which
considers all non-Chinese to be barbarians and barely worthy of
recognition, so stealing from us is condoned and is considered to be
not much different than taking a brightly colored colored stone from
a dog who dug it up and is playing with it.

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

Grrrrr....

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Jim Thompson

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:38:50 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:38:44 +0200, "Alexander"
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

---
[...]

Dammit, John! Could you be more direct? I'm having trouble figuring
out what you mean ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old Latin teachers never die...they just decline
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Jasen Betts

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Ken Taylor

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Bye.
Jasen

That's an opinion at odds with the masses (of non-thieves, anyway).

Ken

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
John Fields

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:41:42 -0000, Jasen Betts

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

---
Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

Taking something written by someone else and using it without the
author's permission is theft.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Simon Scott

John Fields wrote:

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
John Fields

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:46:41 +0800, Simon Scott
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

---
True, but if the pattern of dots isn't of your own making, then
copying them without the permission of the person who organized them
is stealing. Same a Xeroxing a book or counterfeiting cash is
stealing.
---

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

---
But you _do_ lose the income which was rightfully yours had they
bought the software instead of copying/stealing it.
---

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

---
Actually, it's not. They're both taking something from someone
without permission.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Bob Masta

wrote:

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

It's not about your physical copy of the software, it's about
getting paid for your efforts. How do you provide yourself with
food, clothing, and shelter if you are working for free? Or
do you think all software should be written on a hobby basis by
people who make their living doing something else during the
day? (Like maybe at one of those jobs that's about to be
outsourced!)

Just a thought...

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Joel Kolstad

"Simon Scott" wrote in message
'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

If you head down this path of reasoning, it seems to me it should follow
that -- if piracy is OK -- it's also OK to "partially" steal anything you want
from Wal*Mart by deducting any profit they would have otherwise made from
selling that product.

There's nothing wrong with companies being paid to design software and/or
hardware and then selling it for the cost of the copies -- which approaches
zero in the case of software --, but there's also nothing wrong with a
business model that says you want to make a profit on each and every copy
sold, regardless of the price of copying.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc

John Fields wrote:
Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of
copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be
more like Jesus?

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
John Fields

On 19 Apr 2006 08:17:55 -0700, "
wrote:

John Fields wrote:
Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of
copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be
more like Jesus?

---
I'm sure he had permission from the author of the fish.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Michael A. Terrell

" wrote:

John Fields wrote:
Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of
copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be
more like Jesus?

He had to make the fish. The bible says: "Man shall not live by
bread alone."

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.electronics
default

On 17 Apr 2006 23:32:38 -0700, wrote:

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame.
Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software
company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He
told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most
company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech
industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher
costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I
understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized
this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country
like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the
piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12425693/ Has a possible solution for China .
.. . price the DVD's low enough to compete with the pirates - make
money with the quantity of sales instead of trying to balance on the
cusp of "what the market will bear," in typical cartel/capitalist
style.

LG DVC6500 behaves like 'stop' button pressed with DVD HandyMan Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 07:29 PM
How to stop sway of a tall cabinet? orangetrader Home Repair 10 December 13th 04 04:30 PM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM