DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   How to stop Piracy? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics/153846-how-stop-piracy.html)

[email protected] April 18th 06 07:32 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame.
Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software
company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He
told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most
company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech
industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher
costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I
understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized
this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country
like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the
piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Seeking for a customer centered PCB fabricator with high-quality and
most cost-effective service?
SynKore is your perfect option!
Send email to or visit
www.idealpcb.com,
www.advpcb.com,

John Fields April 18th 06 02:36 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On 17 Apr 2006 23:32:38 -0700, wrote:

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame.
Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software
company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He
told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most
company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech
industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher
costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I
understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized
this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country
like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the
piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

---
Simple. For every instance that a pirated item is dicovered in
China, the Chinese government will pay the injured party the full
retail price of the item in the injured party's currency.

Either that, or kill the pirates.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Alexander April 18th 06 07:38 PM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:
[...]

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

--

Alexander

_______________________________________
We are what we repeatedly do. - Aristotle,

Joel Kolstad April 18th 06 07:48 PM

How to stop Piracy?

"Alexander" wrote in message
If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

If you make everything at Wal*Mart free there is no need for shoplifting.

Dave April 18th 06 08:01 PM

How to stop Piracy?

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

Um, so how would a software business function.
Maybe software should be resonably priced.

Regards
Dave

--

Alexander

John Fields April 18th 06 10:38 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:38:44 +0200, "Alexander"
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

---
Simple. For every instance that a pirated item is dicovered in
China, the Chinese government will pay the injured party the full
retail price of the item in the injured party's currency.

Either that, or kill the pirates.

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

---
You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

It's not. Theft is theft, and the fault lies in the thief and, in
the case of China, with the mindset of the Chinese government, which
considers all non-Chinese to be barbarians and barely worthy of
recognition, so stealing from us is condoned and is considered to be
not much different than taking a brightly colored colored stone from
a dog who dug it up and is playing with it.

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

Grrrrr....

Jim Thompson April 18th 06 10:46 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:38:50 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:38:44 +0200, "Alexander"
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

---
[...]

Dammit, John! Could you be more direct? I'm having trouble figuring
out what you mean ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old Latin teachers never die...they just decline

Jasen Betts April 19th 06 07:36 AM

How to stop Piracy?

On 2006-04-18, Dave wrote:

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

Um, so how would a software business function.

people would pay it money to write software.

Bye.
Jasen

Jasen Betts April 19th 06 07:41 AM

How to stop Piracy?

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Bye.
Jasen

Ken Taylor April 19th 06 10:26 AM

How to stop Piracy?

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Bye.
Jasen

That's an opinion at odds with the masses (of non-thieves, anyway).

Ken

Simon Scott April 19th 06 11:46 AM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

John Fields April 19th 06 12:29 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:41:42 -0000, Jasen Betts

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

---
Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

Taking something written by someone else and using it without the
author's permission is theft.

John Fields April 19th 06 12:45 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On 19 Apr 2006 01:27:17 -0700, "eden"
wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

It's not. Theft is theft, and the fault lies in the thief and, in
the case of China, with the mindset of the Chinese government, which
considers all non-Chinese to be barbarians and barely worthy of
recognition, so stealing from us is condoned and is considered to be
not much different than taking a brightly colored colored stone from
a dog who dug it up and is playing with it.

If you are talking about governments, the US is not a good example of
treating good non-US nations around the world. The piracy problem is
small issue comparing to their police role here and there.

---
We treat our friends well, and we treat our enemies and our friends'
enemies badly, but that's not what we're talking about. The topic
is how to stop piracy, and one avenue of approach would be to change
the attitude of the Chinese government.
---

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

I guess now is their time. Europian nations were stealing from the
world for centuries (and still do in some ways).

---
So what? Two wrongs don't make a right.
---

What would you do if
you have 2 bilion of people, mainly poor? You will go to every vilige
to shot down every small pirate factory when you can't offer something
better?

Anyway, I don't try to defend the pirates,

---
Of course you do. You're saying that because they're poor and can't
afford to buy software legally it's OK for them to buy it cheaply
from someone someone who has stolen it.
---

just the global picture is
not that simple

---
You don't have a clue.

John Fields April 19th 06 01:05 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:46:41 +0800, Simon Scott
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,
you ****ing asshole.

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

---
True, but if the pattern of dots isn't of your own making, then
copying them without the permission of the person who organized them
is stealing. Same a Xeroxing a book or counterfeiting cash is
stealing.
---

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

---
But you _do_ lose the income which was rightfully yours had they
bought the software instead of copying/stealing it.
---

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

---
Actually, it's not. They're both taking something from someone
without permission.

Bob Masta April 19th 06 01:27 PM

How to stop Piracy?

wrote:

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

It's not about your physical copy of the software, it's about
getting paid for your efforts. How do you provide yourself with
food, clothing, and shelter if you are working for free? Or
do you think all software should be written on a hobby basis by
people who make their living doing something else during the
day? (Like maybe at one of those jobs that's about to be
outsourced!)

Just a thought...

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

eden April 19th 06 01:35 PM

How to stop Piracy?

wrote:

[...]

I would say you (US Gov.) mind your interests only (as anybody else).
And I don't believe we here can change the attitude of he Chinese
government. Their mind their own interests, and at the moment I guess
piracy is not their main warry. They don't have big music or sw
industry to protect. They have many unemployeed.

---

[...]

Buying pirate CDs would not concerning me so much. Big producers are
the problem. If somebody opens a shop near you and you can get there
cheap software, is not you the one that makes the crime.

just the global picture is
not that simple

---
You don't have a clue.

I know.

Goran

[email protected] April 19th 06 04:17 PM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:
Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of
copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be
more like Jesus?

John Fields April 19th 06 04:31 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On 19 Apr 2006 08:17:55 -0700, "
wrote:

John Fields wrote:
Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of
copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be
more like Jesus?

---
I'm sure he had permission from the author of the fish.

[email protected] April 19th 06 04:35 PM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:

I'm sure he had permission from the author of the fish.

Nice!

Joel Kolstad April 19th 06 04:50 PM

How to stop Piracy?

"Simon Scott" wrote in message
'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots
on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as
many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from
someone.

If you head down this path of reasoning, it seems to me it should follow
that -- if piracy is OK -- it's also OK to "partially" steal anything you want
from Wal*Mart by deducting any profit they would have otherwise made from
selling that product.

There's nothing wrong with companies being paid to design software and/or
hardware and then selling it for the cost of the copies -- which approaches
zero in the case of software --, but there's also nothing wrong with a
business model that says you want to make a profit on each and every copy
sold, regardless of the price of copying.

Reg Edwards April 19th 06 05:50 PM

How to stop Piracy?

There's nothing wrong with companies being paid to design software
and/or
hardware and then selling it for the cost of the copies -- which

approaches
zero in the case of software --, but there's also nothing wrong with

business model that says you want to make a profit on each and every

copy
sold, regardless of the price of copying.

Of course there's nothing wrong.
It's just a perfectly legal confidence trick.
Nothing to do with stealing anything..
It's just a very minor part of the Capitalist System.
You vote for it and that's what you get.
Just carry on as usual without thinking of complaining.
There's nobody there to complain to anyway.
You set of poor, juvenile, deprived, innocent suckers!
=======================================

Michael A. Terrell April 19th 06 05:51 PM

How to stop Piracy?

" wrote:

John Fields wrote:
Stealing software is no different from taking a fish from someone
who caught it instead of going out and fishing for your own supper,

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of
copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be
more like Jesus?

He had to make the fish. The bible says: "Man shall not live by
bread alone."

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Jim Thompson April 19th 06 06:55 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:50:08 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with companies being paid to design software

and/or
hardware and then selling it for the cost of the copies -- which

approaches
zero in the case of software --, but there's also nothing wrong with

business model that says you want to make a profit on each and every

copy
sold, regardless of the price of copying.

Of course there's nothing wrong.
It's just a perfectly legal confidence trick.
Nothing to do with stealing anything..
It's just a very minor part of the Capitalist System.
You vote for it and that's what you get.
Just carry on as usual without thinking of complaining.
There's nobody there to complain to anyway.
You set of poor, juvenile, deprived, innocent suckers!
=======================================

Thus speaks Reg "The Demented One" Edwards ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Zak April 19th 06 07:52 PM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

If it was theft, there would be no desire for copyright laws.

Take note that copyright only applies to works with creative content.
Trivial stuff is not covered.

Thomas

Jim Thompson April 19th 06 07:55 PM

How to stop Piracy?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:52:02 +0200, Zak wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Theft is theft
Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

If it was theft, there would be no desire for copyright laws.

Take note that copyright only applies to works with creative content.
Trivial stuff is not covered.

Thomas

Ehhhh? ANYTHING can be copyrighted, but common usage words have been
adjudicated out (for the most part).

...Jim Thompson

Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippie April 19th 06 09:08 PM

How to stop Piracy?

wrote:

If you are talking about governments, the US is not a good example of
treating good non-US nations around the world. The piracy problem is
small issue comparing to their police role here and there.

We treat our friends well, and we treat our enemies and our friends'
enemies badly, but that's not what we're talking about. The topic
is how to stop piracy, and one avenue of approach would be to change

^^^^^^
the attitude of the Chinese government.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Key, can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?

Thanks!
Rich
--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax

John Fields April 19th 06 09:28 PM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:

Theft is theft
Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

If it was theft, there would be no desire for copyright laws.

---
That's ridiculous. It _is_ theft, and that's why the laws are in
place; to deal with the crime when it's committed.
---

Take note that copyright only applies to works with creative content.
Trivial stuff is not covered.

---
Since the act of writing is in itself creative, (unless you're
copying something which somebody else wrote) copyright applies to
all written work.

John Fields April 19th 06 09:35 PM

How to stop Piracy?

wrote:

If you are talking about governments, the US is not a good example of
treating good non-US nations around the world. The piracy problem is
small issue comparing to their police role here and there.

We treat our friends well, and we treat our enemies and our friends'
enemies badly, but that's not what we're talking about. The topic
is how to stop piracy, and one avenue of approach would be to change

^^^^^^
the attitude of the Chinese government.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Key, can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?

Seems like you've got your own stash: ------
/
/
/
-- /

Carl Smith April 19th 06 10:41 PM

How to stop Piracy?

In article ,
says...
---
But you _do_ lose the income which was rightfully yours had they
bought the software instead of copying/stealing it.
---

While this is completely true, I think the software industry's
estimated losses due to piracy are greatly inflated by one
thing. I believe that only a small amount of pirated software
would have actually been bought had the pirate not been able to
steal it. There is no loss if income if the pirate would never
have bought it anyway.

I also think that some piracy actually results in increased
sales. In particular with things like PCB layout software.
Most legitimate businesses buy the EDA tools they need. But
home hobby guy is never going to shell out $5000 for a PCB
layout program like Protel (I bring this one up because there
used to be cracks for it all over the net). But when that home
hobby guy gets a real job and the pointy haired boss asks what
PCB software they need, he will immediately suggest Protel
because that's what he knows how to use now.

Now, I don't mean to imply that this makes piracy right. But it
isn't all as bad as some people would have you believe.

Ken Taylor April 20th 06 12:41 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Carl Smith wrote:
In article ,
says...

---
[...]

That's pretty much my position - it becomes a "Bad" thing when companies
think they can use pirated software though, even on an 'unofficial
trial' basis.

I'd add that there's no indication that innovation or profits have
suffered due to piracy. Piracy has been going on since the industry
started - I seem to recall some people have written some new software,
done some new things, made a bit of money......

Cheers.

Ken

Spehro Pefhany April 20th 06 01:22 AM

How to stop Piracy?

wrote:

If you are talking about governments, the US is not a good example of
treating good non-US nations around the world. The piracy problem is
small issue comparing to their police role here and there.

We treat our friends well, and we treat our enemies and our friends'
enemies badly, but that's not what we're talking about. The topic
is how to stop piracy, and one avenue of approach would be to change

^^^^^^
the attitude of the Chinese government.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Key, can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking?

You'd also have to change the attitude of 1.3 bn people. Might be
easier to change the attitudes of the few hundred millions who are
whining about it. Just one mobile phone company (China Mobile) has
200 million customers! It's interesting that, in some ways, the

governments in countries such as China is actually more answerable for
*results* than those in democracies. In free-market democracies, you
supposedly get what you vote for (though you'll probably not be asked
questions that could yield answers that threaten powerful interests
unless there's an even more powerful domestic interest that is
fighting it in public). If things go wrong, it's the market, it's what
you voted for, it's always someone else (or no one at all) that's to
blame. Historically, monarchies and other totalitarian governments
have had lower steady-state total tax loads than democracies-- part
of the reason a capitalist economic system can do well in conjuction
with such systems.

I don't have a problem with copyright laws one way or the other.. I
could imagine there being very strong or very weak laws. It's not a
moral issue, IMO, just a contract that uses public funds to enable a
passive royalty collection scheme for companies who develop IP.
There are ways to survive and prosper whatever the rules are.

IIRC, the US conveniently ignored the IP owned by England for a couple
of generations until had some of its own to protect internationally
for its own companies. Similarly, when money can start flowing in both
directions you can be pretty sure they'll be more interested in buying
in (or not). Same goes for India and Russia where piracy is
everywhere, and for the ME, where piracy is the highest in the world,
IIRC. You don't hear much about the latter places because the US is
fixated on a 'containment' policy, and China-bashing is 'in' once
again, including the currency valuation red herring.

BTW, there's a very popular love song* in China that's been performed
by a bunch of different artists. One such artist was a 21-year old
girl named Xiang1-Xiang1. She did it with a PC and a microphone, no
studio, and gave away the music on the internet. She's made a small
fortune from it, and has been signed by the UK music company EMI and
has released at least one CD. In a different world she would have
made a big fortune (or, more likely, nothing at all).

* Lao3 Shu3 Ai4 da4 Mi3 (Mouse loves rice). The metaphor loses
something in the translation.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Joel Kolstad April 20th 06 01:38 AM

How to stop Piracy?

"Ken Taylor" wrote in message
Piracy has been going on since the industry started - I seem to recall some
people have written some new software, done some new things, made a bit of
money......

Bill Gate's original plea to stop piracy 30 years ago:
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/...tesletter.html

Microsoft's take on it these days:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,414067.story

Ken Taylor April 20th 06 01:54 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Joel Kolstad wrote:
"Ken Taylor" wrote in message

Piracy has been going on since the industry started - I seem to recall some
people have written some new software, done some new things, made a bit of
money......

Bill Gate's original plea to stop piracy 30 years ago:
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/...tesletter.html

Microsoft's take on it these days:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,414067.story

Hearing any bleats by Gates about piracy makes me want to dredge up
reports of old law-suits, but what the heck, it's lunch-time.....

Ken

Ken Taylor April 20th 06 03:51 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Bjarne Bäckström wrote:
Ken Taylor wrote:

Hearing any bleats by Gates about piracy makes me want to dredge up
reports of old law-suits, but what the heck, it's lunch-time.....

Repost:

"[...] a thread was started about Bill Gates' famous "open
letter" calling all hobbyists "thieves" because we were all stealing
"his" software.

This led into a discussion of why Mr. Gates was "asked to resign" from
Harvard. Someone pointed out the whole story was located on the "Boston
Globe's" website. [ To those outside of the U.S., the Globe is to Boston
what the Times is to London...not prone to hyperbole. ]

So I checked out the website & found that Mr Gates & Mr. Allen had used
Mr. Gates' account on Harvard's DEC-10 to write M.I.T.S. 8080 & 6800
BASICs [Microsoft's _only_ software products at that time.][Bill Gates
& Paul Allen were Microsoft's only employees at the time also.]

The "powers that be" at Harvard learned of this & were ready to expell
Mr. Gates because "all students at Harvard sign a form making all
software developed on the University's computers public domain." In
order to keep from being expelled from Harvard and to be allowed to
resign, Mr. Gates signed over all rights to Microsoft's products to the
public domain.

After leaving Harvard, Mr. Gates seemed to forget this & continued to
market both the 6800 & 8080 BASICs. Unfortunately [for him] it is all
a matter of public record.[...]"

I didn't even know that one, but now can add it to the list of things I
forget about him. :-)

MS has been involved in all manner of 'acquisition' of interesting
add-ons for their crappy software suite.

Cheers.

Ken

Zak April 20th 06 07:32 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Jim Thompson wrote:

Take note that copyright only applies to works with creative content.
Trivial stuff is not covered.

Thomas

Ehhhh? ANYTHING can be copyrighted, but common usage words have been
adjudicated out (for the most part).

Well, you can probably copyright anything, but that does not mean that
the copyright is valid.

I remember a business delivering a text to someone who converted tags
into html by using a script.

Later, the business went elsewhere with their site and took the
generated html with them. The original converter claimed copyright, but
this was ruled against for lack of creative content.

Another limitation is independent creation. If I would write the text
"best quality in town - come today for best offer" that could be
construed as creative. However, if someone else wrote the same text it
could likely be an independent creation and him using that text would
not be a copyright violation.

Which doesn't mean you can't sue, but that's another thing.

Thomas

Zak April 20th 06 07:37 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Ken Taylor wrote:

Now, I don't mean to imply that this makes piracy right. But it isn't
all as bad as some people would have you believe.

That's pretty much my position - it becomes a "Bad" thing when companies
think they can use pirated software though, even on an 'unofficial
trial' basis.

The 'trial' thing is not that bad. One of the reasons open source is
doing well is that there is no need to go through purchasing and lawyers
to try it.

Software vendors have traditionally been ignoring unauthorized copying
whenever they felt it was best for their business - for example student
or private use.

I'd add that there's no indication that innovation or profits have
suffered due to piracy. Piracy has been going on since the industry
started - I seem to recall some people have written some new software,
done some new things, made a bit of money......

It seems clothing designs only have very limited protection in Europe -
changing a number of details (5 or 8?) is enough to have a new creation.
This doesn't seem to harm industry creativity at all...

The same would apply to look-and-feel copyrights on software. What
happened to those? Those were a license to print money, not a stimulus
for creativity...

Thomas

Zak April 20th 06 07:40 AM

How to stop Piracy?

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:41:02 GMT, Carl Smith
wrote:

Now, I don't mean to imply that this makes piracy right. But it
isn't all as bad as some people would have you believe.

Supposedly Autodesk has greatly profited from this "free trial"
distribution. As long as most companies of any size pay, they are
rolling in the money. Thus, they aggressively go after corporations
they think might not have a (or enough) license(s).

Autodesk probably likes you to use this at home for free. The more
people can use the software the more they can sell. And really no-one
would buy this privately at full price, so there is no money lost to
them (though they could sell training).

Which makes your explanation likely. Of course they could produce a
(limited) student edition...

Thomas

Jasen Betts April 20th 06 07:51 AM

How to stop Piracy?

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.electronics.]

On 2006-04-18, John Fields wrote:

You seem to be trying to say that it's the software authors' faults
that piracy exists because they they didn't give their work away in
the first place.

Theft is theft

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

---
Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

if it were the police would be going after copyright infringers.

Taking something written by someone else and using it without the
author's permission is theft.

no it's not.

--

Bye.
Jasen

Jasen Betts April 20th 06 08:02 AM

How to stop Piracy?

John Fields wrote:

Theft is theft
Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Yes, it is. If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

If it was theft, there would be no desire for copyright laws.

---
That's ridiculous. It _is_ theft, and that's why the laws are in
place; to deal with the crime when it's committed.
---

not by any legal definition ("dishonest apropriation of another's property
with the intent to deprive him of it permanently"), and it's not a crime
in the free world.

It's a civil matter between the holder and the infringer

Bye.
Jasen