Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics
Richard Harris

Default PIC micro MIPS

Hi,
im a total newbie and playing with PIC micro's.
I have a pic 16F818 and noticed that it has an internal oscillator
that can be selected from 31kHz to 8MHz. Also the Data sheet for this
pic states that the MIPS = oscillator frequency / 4. so at 4MHz you get
1MIPS. But it
does not state if this is the internal oscillator of the external one.
The external oscillator can run up to 20MHz and the internal 8MHz.
Am i right to assume it means the internal one and so the total number of
instructions
it can execute a second is (8MHz / 4) 4,000,000 ? (assuming each instruction
takes 1 cylce).

Thanks for your time.

Posted to alt.electronics
Alexander

"Richard Harris" schreef in bericht
Hi,
im a total newbie and playing with PIC micro's.
I have a pic 16F818 and noticed that it has an internal oscillator
that can be selected from 31kHz to 8MHz. Also the Data sheet for this
pic states that the MIPS = oscillator frequency / 4. so at 4MHz you get
1MIPS. But it
does not state if this is the internal oscillator of the external one.
The external oscillator can run up to 20MHz and the internal 8MHz.
Am i right to assume it means the internal one and so the total number of
instructions
it can execute a second is (8MHz / 4) 4,000,000 ? (assuming each
instruction
takes 1 cylce).

Thanks for your time.

The internal oscillator is optional for use (you can save parts for simple
designs).
This one is not very accurate compared to some other X-tals.
For both you must the frequency must be divided by 4 for the instructions.
Some Pics have an internal multiplier, but the 16F not is I remember
correct.

Alexander

Micro lathe Jaime Metalworking 36 September 22nd 05 04:44 PM
Micro Bore system Doug_Quaid0 Home Repair 3 June 19th 05 09:01 PM
micro lathe link Metalworking 0 March 24th 04 03:30 AM
Looking for IC901 (CXD9528S) micro or scrapped chassis for Sony/Dell 17" flat CRT Jason D. Electronics Repair 0 December 6th 03 04:47 AM
Popcorn in micro wave Brandystew Home Repair 11 November 25th 03 06:57 AM