Electronics (alt.electronics)

James Myers

Default Using a PTT mic on a cell phone

Anyone have any experience with building an adaptor that will let you
plug a Rat Shack PTT mic into a standard cell phone headset jack?
Sometimes I need to use my phone when background chatter is a problem,
and a PTT would help keep the party on the line from hearing and being
distracted by all the noise. Ideally, the sound could come out of the
mic (as it does when plugged into an FRS radio) and be simplex
operation.

My cell provider offers PTT service, but that only works when the
other user is on a PTT handset (and requires a higher monthly rate
plan). That's not what I need.

TIA!
Art

There are some rather nice, moderately inexpensive, headsets available for
you that include that specific feature. Quite similar to aircraft headsets
that have that feature designed into them.
"James Myers" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with building an adaptor that will let you
plug a Rat Shack PTT mic into a standard cell phone headset jack?
Sometimes I need to use my phone when background chatter is a problem,
and a PTT would help keep the party on the line from hearing and being
distracted by all the noise. Ideally, the sound could come out of the
mic (as it does when plugged into an FRS radio) and be simplex
operation.

My cell provider offers PTT service, but that only works when the
other user is on a PTT handset (and requires a higher monthly rate
plan). That's not what I need.

TIA!

James Myers

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:52:55 -0400, "Art"
wrote:

There are some rather nice, moderately inexpensive, headsets available for
you that include that specific feature. Quite similar to aircraft headsets
that have that feature designed into them.

Any suggestion as to where they might be found? All of my searches
turn up tradtional headsets/earpieces. The best I could find is one
with a mute button. That's won't cut it. I only want them to hear me
when I press the button, like the aircraft sets.

Cell phone scanners Blue Home Repair 28 May 31st 05 04:10 PM
a cell phone question RB Electronics Repair 5 March 9th 05 07:09 AM
How Realtors are using their cell phone Travis Jordan Home Ownership 3 February 18th 05 12:55 AM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM
Cell phone signal question WbSearch Electronics Repair 9 August 12th 04 03:39 AM