Electronics (alt.electronics)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
TJ Hertz

Default Electric shocks (was: 100V appliance on 110v power supply)

When I said "I've got a Japanese Akai S1000 sampler", I actually meant "I'm
selling a Japanese Akai S1000 sampler for someone else". As a result, I
didn't know much about the unit and its condition.

But I asked the owner what she used to do with regards to power supply and
she gave me the transformer that she had been running it off for the past 7
years or so. Surprise surprise - it's a 240V to 115V transformer, and she
said the Akai always worked fine despite being labelled 100V. In other
words, she'd been using an incorrect transformer for years, but it worked
anyway.

A buyer emailed me today from eBay asking if the screen was still bright or
if it had gone dim with age, so I plugged in the sampler using
aforementioned 115V transformer and promptly got an electric shock from an
area on the sampler's case where a bit of the paint had been scratched off,
leaving bare metal. It is worth bearing in mind that I was barefoot and
standing on a concrete garage floor, but nevertheless, this shouldn't
happen. I plugged it in again and the same thing happened. However, when
turned on, the sampler worked fine - it just gave me a shock whenever I
touched the case (a sizeable electric shock, not like static). The owner
said that she'd never experienced this before despite using the sampler with
the same transformer on a UK mains supply.

One thing I noticed about the unit was that it used a 2-pin power lead with
apparently no earth. As in, the socket on the machine only had 2 pins, so
there was no option to use an earthed cable (even though the transformer had
earthed sockets). What's the deal with this? Can anything be done? Obviously
I can't sell a unit on eBay in Very Good Condition if it shocks you when you
plug it in, even if it works fine otherwise.

Is my only option to sell it as-seen with a buyer warning?

Thanks,

--
tj hertz

Power shower electrical shocks Dave UK diy 4 June 4th 04 07:54 PM
FS: 110V portable isolating transformer for power tools etc. Mike Tomlinson UK diy 2 May 24th 04 06:31 PM
electric power shower Franglais UK diy 10 May 10th 04 12:37 PM
Why 110v power tools? Parish UK diy 63 March 26th 04 10:12 PM
Electric fence power indicator? Neon? Andy Dingley UK diy 17 October 13th 03 12:57 PM