Electronics (alt.electronics)

taku

Default A round shaped LCD screen

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew if and where i could get round lcd
screens manufactured or possibly the price range if i could get
someone to manufacture it for me. I've been doing some research and
all the manufacturers seem to only build rectangular ones, but yet
i've seen at certain shows / awards that they sometimes use lcd/plasma
screens that are of a strange shape. I am looking for screens with a
radius of 15 inches.
Thanx
John Musselman

Taku,

E-mail me directly with some particulars and I'll check with some of the
suppliers I use regularly.

Quantity?
Technology: black and white/color, character/bitmap, etc.

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

John Musselman

"taku" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew if and where i could get round lcd
screens manufactured or possibly the price range if i could get
someone to manufacture it for me. I've been doing some research and
all the manufacturers seem to only build rectangular ones, but yet
i've seen at certain shows / awards that they sometimes use lcd/plasma
screens that are of a strange shape. I am looking for screens with a
radius of 15 inches.
Thanx

OBones

taku wrote:

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew if and where i could get round lcd
screens manufactured or possibly the price range if i could get
someone to manufacture it for me. I've been doing some research and
all the manufacturers seem to only build rectangular ones, but yet
i've seen at certain shows / awards that they sometimes use lcd/plasma
screens that are of a strange shape. I am looking for screens with a
radius of 15 inches.

What if you were to use a rectangular one with a mask that only show a
round part of it?
Then your driving circuit only "draws" to the visible part and you're
sorted. That shouldn't be too hard to do, I would think.
Dave Garnett

"taku" wrote in message
om...
Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew if and where i could get round lcd
screens manufactured or possibly the price range if i could get
someone to manufacture it for me. I've been doing some research and
all the manufacturers seem to only build rectangular ones, but yet
i've seen at certain shows / awards that they sometimes use lcd/plasma
screens that are of a strange shape. I am looking for screens with a
radius of 15 inches.
Thanx

15 inch Radius ? 30 inches diameter ? Thats pretty big ! AFAIK screens that
size get hand made at almost infinite cost.

What is the application ? What is your target price ? Is a larger pixel size
acceptable (say 1.5mm instead of 0.3mm) ?

For a one of, consider back projection

regards,
Dave

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.nuthinbutnews.com

JW

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:42:23 -0700 "John Musselman" wrote
in Message id: u6%8e.483$2X2.104@okepread06:

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.
Grant Edwards

On 2005-04-19, JW wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:42:23 -0700 "John Musselman" wrote
in Message id: u6%8e.483$2X2.104@okepread06:

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.

I think this explains the primary use:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ROUNDLCD

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! It's some people
at inside the wall! This is
Casey

JW said
"John Musselman" wrote

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.

Might be great for testing the upcoming beta version of
Microsoft Portholes XP ....

Casey
Tim Wescott

Casey wrote:

JW said

"John Musselman" wrote

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.

Might be great for testing the upcoming beta version of
Microsoft Portholes XP ....

Casey

Portholes or potholes?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
JW

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:11:51 -0000 Grant Edwards wrote
in Message id: :

On 2005-04-19, JW wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:42:23 -0700 "John Musselman" wrote
in Message id: u6%8e.483$2X2.104@okepread06:

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/wootlp.htm

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.

I think this explains the primary use:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ROUNDLCD

sheepish grin

D'oh! I've been trolled by a website.

Michael A. Terrell

JW wrote:

sheepish grin

D'oh! I've been trolled by a website.

There used to be round monitors in the early days of TV.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell
wrote (in
) about 'A round shaped LCD screen', on
Wed, 20 Apr 2005:

There used to be round monitors in the early days of TV.

English Electric 16 inch round tubes, with metal flares, all at 16 kV or
so! They even put some in up-market receivers.
'What is a Moebius strip?'
Jim Thompson

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:43:42 +0100, John Woodgate
wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell
wrote (in
) about 'A round shaped LCD screen', on
Wed, 20 Apr 2005:

There used to be round monitors in the early days of TV.

English Electric 16 inch round tubes, with metal flares, all at 16 kV or
so! They even put some in up-market receivers.

Raytheon made them on this side of the pond.

I used to throw the dead ones over the side of the hill to avoid
debris... BOOM... several seconds later... CLANG ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Kryten

"JW" wrote in message

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ROUNDLCD

:-)

I though perhaps the OP was thinking of an LCD with polar co-ordinates.

For something like a sonar scanner for boats.

Interesting technical challenge...

Scott Moore

Kryten wrote:
"JW" wrote in message

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ROUNDLCD

:-)

I though perhaps the OP was thinking of an LCD with polar co-ordinates.

For something like a sonar scanner for boats.

Interesting technical challenge...

Actually, 3" round LCDs would be a great innovation.

Aircraft instruments are 3" round, and it is impossible to
find them to make compatible instruments that fit in those holes.
The ones that are available usually are square, and require the
panel be modified.