Junior Member

Post Water Heater Fuse Problems

I have a Horstmann Electronic 7 Maxistore water heater in my home and I've been having fuse problems as of late. We've been living here for about 7 months and never once had a problem but the other day I went to disconnect a storage heater and had to cut off the main power. When I turned it back on, the 15 amp fuse wire for my water heater blew. It was merely broken but I went out and got some new 15 amp fuse wire and replaced it. A few hours later I hear a loud pop and when I switched off the power and checked the fuse box the wire was completely gone except for the melted bits attached to the screws. Again I replaced it and again it happened. Fuse completely melted and gone. Is too much power flowing through? Is it safe to use a 30 amp wire? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Lee Babcock

Tim W. wrote:
I have a Horstmann Electronic 7 Maxistore water heater in my home and
I've been having fuse problems as of late. We've been living here for
about 7 months and never once had a problem but the other day I went to
disconnect a storage heater and had to cut off the main power. When I
turned it back on, the 15 amp fuse wire for my water heater blew. It
was merely broken but I went out and got some new 15 amp fuse wire and
replaced it. A few hours later I hear a loud pop and when I switched
off the power and checked the fuse box the wire was completely gone
except for the melted bits attached to the screws. Again I replaced it
and again it happened. Fuse completely melted and gone. Is too much
power flowing through? Is it safe to use a 30 amp wire? Any help would
be much appreciated. Thanks

Firstly, don't replace the fusing with anything but the proper rating.

Secondly, you should give more details when you ask for help.

I suspect that from your email address and the make name that you are in
the UK and that this is a tankless point of delivery water heater. We
had these damn things in the Bahamas when I used to live there and they
were prone to developing leaks in the water coil directly onto the
heating elements and blowing fuses.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM