Default The software situation is critical for al in any electronics repair field.

Hi;

Currently dealing with a hardware issue. Again it's friggin Creative. I
thought if I bought something I own it, and therefore am able to use
it. Not so with these people. Can get an update, but you get a serious
runaround on the actual driver.

Look for this at a TV shop near you. It's going to get to the point
where everything is captive service. I think it's wrong. Software this,
software that. Nobody who writes it will ever help servicers.

See the end result of this is that when the economy really does
collapse, nobody will be able to get anything fixed. Not even your
stove, microwave or refrigerator. I think this is a dangerous trend.

What say you ?

JURB

RonKZ650

I'm fed up too. Even if the grey scale is off on a new TV will anyone
tell you the secret to enter the service mode? Nope, then these piece
of complete scum HDTV. Need a SAMS? no coverage, Need a factory
scematic? 1 month special order, need *any* part? buy the scematic,
wait one month, then wait one month for any part unless generic and
none are. This is the wave of the future for HDTV repair, 2-3 months to
repair? I'm no newcomer to the biz, after 26 yrs I've never seen it
this bad, Sony, Sanyo, Zenith, Panasonic, Daewoo, it doesn't matter,
all are the same situation.

hemyd

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi;

Currently dealing with a hardware issue. Again it's friggin Creative. I
thought if I bought something I own it, and therefore am able to use
it. Not so with these people. Can get an update, but you get a serious
runaround on the actual driver.

Look for this at a TV shop near you. It's going to get to the point
where everything is captive service. I think it's wrong. Software this,
software that. Nobody who writes it will ever help servicers.

See the end result of this is that when the economy really does
collapse, nobody will be able to get anything fixed. Not even your
stove, microwave or refrigerator. I think this is a dangerous trend.

What say you ?

JURB

We bought a washing machine a year ago. I made sure it had no electronics of
any kind. I don't like mechanical equipment especially, that would work
perfectly if it wasn't for some microcircuit that costs big bucks to
replace, one that wasn't needed anyway. Whiz bang electronics touch panels,
controls and timers are all very well - until they stuff up.

Henry.

Jerry G.

The consumers are demanding the options at an affordable price. Also, if the
sets were not microcomputer operated, they would not be able to do the
sophisticated operations that they can do.

If you go back to the TV sets of the 1960's, you would see that there is no
way that their performance can match of what there is today.

The economy is geared in such a way that when something breaks, it has to be
replaced. If it an expensive device, then the parts are replaced in modules.
Manual labour to fix something is too expensive, since we are geared as a
service industry world.

Even at the manufacture level, if something doesn't work off the assembly
line, they don't spend time to fix it. The defective device is binned, and
the assembly line keeps going.

As for servicing even at the modular level, if it is worth it, there is
software involved, because of the nature of the design. Being software
designed, the proper tools, education, and interfacing is required. In many
of the new generations of TV's and devices, the internal service menu is
disappearing. They are now going to the need of an external interface with a
PC running a software package for the application. This lowers their
assembly and design cost, because there will be no maintenance software
internal to the appliance or device.

You have to take in consideration that the life cycle for anything you buy
today, is engineered for about 5 years, if it is medium to high priced unit.
For the low priced units, the life cycle design is for about 2 years. The
warranty policy will have a strong reflection on how long you should expect
it to last.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi;

Currently dealing with a hardware issue. Again it's friggin Creative. I
thought if I bought something I own it, and therefore am able to use
it. Not so with these people. Can get an update, but you get a serious
runaround on the actual driver.

Look for this at a TV shop near you. It's going to get to the point
where everything is captive service. I think it's wrong. Software this,
software that. Nobody who writes it will ever help servicers.

See the end result of this is that when the economy really does
collapse, nobody will be able to get anything fixed. Not even your
stove, microwave or refrigerator. I think this is a dangerous trend.

What say you ?

JURB

Mark

my thought was that the internet and newsgoups like this can buck the
trend.

as soon as 1 person finds out the "secret software handshake" needed
to enter service mode, then we can all share it via the internet.

Mark

Leonard Caillouet

Are you talking about consumer electronics or computer drivers specifically.
If the former, email me at

first letter of my first name followed by
first 6 letters of my last name
at
devoy followed by
net
dot
com

Leonard

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi;

Currently dealing with a hardware issue. Again it's friggin Creative. I
thought if I bought something I own it, and therefore am able to use
it. Not so with these people. Can get an update, but you get a serious
runaround on the actual driver.

Look for this at a TV shop near you. It's going to get to the point
where everything is captive service. I think it's wrong. Software this,
software that. Nobody who writes it will ever help servicers.

See the end result of this is that when the economy really does
collapse, nobody will be able to get anything fixed. Not even your
stove, microwave or refrigerator. I think this is a dangerous trend.

What say you ?

JURB

Thanks for your new email, I see it has changed. You sold me some yokes
awhile back and I might need something else. Also I'll send you one of
my active email addys so if you need anything I'll do what I can.

I would like comprehensive info on service menus and such. I suspect
you work for an ASC so I wouldn't be able to reciprocate. Maybe one of
these days you'll have something you've never seen before and I have, I
would jump at the chance to help you out. You saved a $500 job and I
got a bonus out of it.

JURB