pink

Default Epson PhotoPC 850z digital camera went blind

Hi All,

My Epson PhotoPC 850z digital camera suddenly went blind. The shutter
seems to operate normally, except every picture is black. The LCD
works fine, menus and existing pics display normally.

Does anyone have any hints or a link to a .pdf service manual? Any
advice would be appreciated - can't really afford a new digicam right
now.

thanks,
Pink

Jerry G.

Epson does not publish a service manual that is for sell. They will not
supply parts to non Epson authorized service reps.

These cameras are service by module substitution. Calibration is done
with a calibration system, jigs, and software. The calibration
parameters is then writen to the EPROM.

The service manual that the service reps get is not a detailed
component level manual. There are only some things that are serviced at
the component level, such as some types of switches, and connectors.
The manual that they give out to their service reps is mostly
pictorial, and describes the module replacments, and how to do the
calibration with their factory setup.

If you call Epson, I think they service these at a base flat rate, plus
the parts. Depending on the fault, your camera may not be too expensive
to service. You should call their support line to find out what is
involved.

There is a chance that the I/O to the memory card is not working
properly, or the socket is defective, and that is why the pictures are
not stored, and yet they are visible in the viewfinder. I would also
suggest to format the memroy card, or to try another memory card,
before sending the camera for service. I have seen defective memory
cards cause your description.

Jerry G.
======