William R. Walsh

Default Zenith B25A242 TV

Hello all...

A while back I purchased this TV to replace an ailing and beyond hope GE
model. (The GE TV had its EPROM get corrupted because I didn't get around to
fixing it soon enough...) Of everything I looked at, this set seemed to have
a very good picture and sound. The price was decent, so I bought it.

Now here it is a few years later (maybe 4) and while the set still works,
something has gone wrong with the picture. The OSD is almost unreadable, the
colors are somewhat wrong (purple) and it is obvious that the focus is off
in parts of the picture. This just "happened" out of the blue one day as far
as I know. (I do not watch the set often.) The user accessible controls
don't help this at all and I have not been inside to look for any trouble. I
don't really want to mess with it.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be with this set? Is it likely to
have the bad picture tube problem that a lot of older Zenith sets had? If it
is a bad picture tube and the set is best tossed out, what's a good make &
model to consider replacing it with? I want something that is going to last.

Apologies if the model # is not 100% correct. I had to look at the back of
the set to get it and this was rather...interesting...to do.

Thanks!

William

Yes, it is very possible the picture tube is simply gone.
The tv however, needs the crt drive and other voltages checked to
confirm the problem.
Q5104 is a common failure transistor on some models of Zenith sets at
the end of the picture tube problem. It goes leaky and will check good
on a meter, but the voltages will be all wrong.

Since the focus is out, I am betting on the picture tube.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

CRT very common problem with LG/Zenith televisions.

I was afraid this was the problem, and as far as I can tell, the CRT is in
fact bad.

Much as I hate to, I'm probably going to toss the set sometime in the near
future. I have an older Sharp 19" set with some bad capacitors on the bench
right now that will probably take its place.

Is there any chance that someone could use the boards or other parts of this
TV? I hate to throw away perfectly good boards/speakers/flyback/etc if
someone might be looking for them. (May have a use for them myself...not
sure yet...)

William

William

Bring it by, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. David Harris