Michael

Default replacement parts

There are 2x1uF 250V bipolar electrolytics that I've circled in red on
the image:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~quadfour/caps.jpg

I need to replace them as one has started leaking, and polarised caps just
go bang. I don't know enough about electronics to figure out what they do
exactly, but I need to replace them with something else as I cannot find
any 250V replacement bipolar caps (just finding 50V ones). Ideas?

Cheers
Michael
Travis Jordan

Michael wrote:
There are 2x1uF 250V bipolar electrolytics that I've circled in red on

http://www1.electusdistribution.com....AT&SUBCATID=65

Michael

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Travis Jordan wrote:

Michael wrote:
There are 2x1uF 250V bipolar electrolytics that I've circled in red on

http://www1.electusdistribution.com....AT&SUBCATID=65

Do you mind if I ask why replace them with the parts you're linking to?
Just curious because apparently 2 caps in series act like resisters or
something.

Cheers
Michael
Travis Jordan

Michael wrote:
Do you mind if I ask why replace them with the parts you're linking
to? Just curious because apparently 2 caps in series act like
resisters or something.

Sort of.
http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/theory/capacitors2.htm

Michael

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:08:54 +0000, Ross Herbert wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:24:51 GMT, Ross Herbert
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:33:58 +0800, Michael
wrote:

There are 2x1uF 250V bipolar electrolytics that I've circled in red on
the image:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~quadfour/caps.jpg

I need to replace them as one has started leaking, and polarised caps just
go bang. I don't know enough about electronics to figure out what they do
exactly, but I need to replace them with something else as I cannot find
any 250V replacement bipolar caps (just finding 50V ones). Ideas?

Cheers
Michael

Since these series caps are essentially connected between mains supply
and earth (via 12V zener which has negligible volt drop on negative
half cycles and 12V on positive half cycles) you should not use any
film capacitor rated simply at 250Vdc as Travis suggests. You could
replace both caps with a single 470nF,250Vac X2 rated film cap such as
Jaycar RG-5240. You need to make sure you have sufficient space on the
board though.

Thanks Ross, those caps seem to be doing the trick. I've got 2 monitors
the same, working nice in both

Cheers
Michael

Michael

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:33:58 +0000, Ross Herbert wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info that this is a monitor we are talking about.

That C863 connected across RL801/2,4 worries me. If it is not marked
specifically for 250Vac working and is simply marked 250V then this
will most likely mean 250Vdc working. I would be changing that to a
10nF 250Vac X2.

Its 250VAC rated from what I can tell. From all the monitors I've seen
this cap seems to be fine... Normally I see the C843 and C844 mentioned
with respect to this monitor, they have a habbit of blowing from what I
can tell.

Which caps did you put in, the 1uF 250V back to back electros as
original or the ones suggested by Travis? I certainly wouldn't use the
back to back electros as they will most certainly fail again due to
the high ripple current through them.

Before I asked what to replace them with, I stuck in 2x1uF 450V back to
back electrolytics, as predicted they blew after about 24hrs. To fix it I
put in those ones you noted from Jaycar, working the treat