Rick Cantellya

Default Panasonic CT27G31U AGAIN!

This one just one quit. About a year ago, the set was dead. I replaced the
STK730-020 and the line fuse and everything worked fine for several months.
Then, it fails with just a blown line fuse. Couldn't find any power supply
shorts, so I put in a new fuse and it works for several more months.
Now...it's got an open line fuse again.

Anyone have any clues or suggestions?

Please reply to newsgroup.

Rick Cantellya

Jeff....

Thanks for the speedy response. Is this a recommended fix by Panasonic or a
savvy solution from experience?
I don't recall the original being a slow blow. Are there any suspicions
about what causes the instantaneous current surge to take out the fuse? I've
monitored the normal current through the 4A fuse and it's typically less
than 1A.

Regards...

Rick

"Shoreline Electronics" wrote in message
Use a slo-blo type.......not a fast blo.

Common issue.

--
==========================
Jeff Stielau

========================

"Rick Cantellya" wrote in message
news
This one just one quit. About a year ago, the set was dead. I replaced
the STK730-020 and the line fuse and everything worked fine for several
months. Then, it fails with just a blown line fuse. Couldn't find any
power supply shorts, so I put in a new fuse and it works for several more
months. Now...it's got an open line fuse again.

Anyone have any clues or suggestions?

Please reply to newsgroup.

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:20:40 -0600, "Rick Cantellya" idont@cceptspam
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Jeff....

Thanks for the speedy response. Is this a recommended fix by Panasonic or a
savvy solution from experience?
I don't recall the original being a slow blow. Are there any suspicions
about what causes the instantaneous current surge to take out the fuse? I've
monitored the normal current through the 4A fuse and it's typically less
than 1A.

The PTC draws a large current for a split second immediately after
switch-on at the mains. A slow blow fuse will prevent nuisance fusing.

- Franc Zabkar
Leonard Caillouet

When you see a 4A fuse on the ac line of a 27" TV you can bet it is a
delayed action fuse. The surge current from the degaussing circuit will
require more like a 6A fast acting fuse. I have repaired quite a few
Panasonics fixed by techs that did not pay attention to the type of fusing
and returned the set to the customer with a fast acting fuse where it needed
a slo-blow.

Leonard

"Rick Cantellya" idont@cceptspam wrote in message
[...]

Leonard Caillouet

"Rick Cantellya" idont@cceptspam wrote in message
Thanks for all of the responses. Here's what I've done:

I checked my service manual and no mention is made to this being a slow
blow/delayed action fuse. I searched for any information on the part

number
(0BA1C40NU100) and found a part supplier that shows the description only

as
4A/125V. HOWEVER, they show a new part number for the fuse

(XBA1C40NU100).
So, I went to Panasonic's web site and looked up the description of the

new
part number and it comes back as 4A/125V. I sent an email to Panasonic's
part department to see if a) they would respond and b) if they could

confirm
if there is an issue with the specs on this fuse. I don't make a habit out
of replacing slow blow fuses with fast blow fuses and I'm quite sure I did
not take a slow blow fuse out when the set originally failed.

All of your suggestions make sense....with the exception of the set

failing
after it has been on for a period of time and not during the current surge
from the degaussing coil at startup. If I get a response from Panasonic
(hold back laughter please) I'll share it with the group.

I did the same thing and could not get a definitive answer from Panasonic,
so I just ordered a fuse to be sure. It was clearly a delayed action fuse,
noting the construction and the T in the number.

Look at most any television of this size and you will see a 5 or 6 amp fast
acting fuse. Panasonic uses slo-blow fuses and this allows them to use a
lower amp rating.

Leonard

RonKZ650

A fuse is not like a precision resistor, a 4Asb, 4Afb, 5Afb all should
work fine. If you look at Littlefuse datasheets you'll see the FB 4A is
rated to run at 6A continuous power for 60 minutes minimum. You need to
surpass the rating by over 215% to actually blow "fast". So it takes 9A
to really blow a 4A fuse. They don't make a 4A fuse blow at exactly
4.01A and run at 3.99A.
You're sure the fuse clips are good and the fuse is not heating up and
opening?
Ron Guelenet

Art

Actually the failure due to degauss does not necessarily happen at the first
application of power, these sets have been know to run anywhere from 1 to 5
weeks before the fuse finally just opens up. Same scenario with the RCA and
GE sets that are exhibiting the intermittent fuse failure. RCA actually has
a bulletin regarding the fix, Panasonic: Who knows when!! Good Luck