JoeD

Default Panasonic TV with horizontal problem

Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working great
until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To
temporarily fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours
a week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

Art

Actually you have a vertical problem, loss of vertical deflection is causing
your horizontal line. Repair the vertical circuits, ESR the caps in the
vertical and associated power supply circuits, replace the vertical output
ic.
"JoeD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working great
until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To temporarily
fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours a
week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

JoeD

Thanks Art.

Would you have a ballpark idea of how much this would cost to repair. I
live in the NYC area.

Art wrote:

Actually you have a vertical problem, loss of vertical deflection is causing
your horizontal line. Repair the vertical circuits, ESR the caps in the
vertical and associated power supply circuits, replace the vertical output
ic.
"JoeD" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working great
until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To temporarily
fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours a
week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

Art

In shop from $75 -$150 depending on the shop and what they actually need to
do to rectify the problem. May want to call about and get some insight
before taking the set in. Actually check with friends and neighbors
regarding local establishments and their recommendations.
ink.net...

Art wrote:

Actually you have a vertical problem, loss of vertical deflection is
causing your horizontal line. Repair the vertical circuits, ESR the caps
in the vertical and associated power supply circuits, replace the vertical
output ic.
"JoeD" wrote in message
link.net...

Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working great
until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To
temporarily fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours a
week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

JoeD

Art,

Since the problem is extremely intermittent and the likelihood that it
happens when I bring the set in is very small, will a decent to good
repair shop fix the problem?

Art wrote:

In shop from $75 -$150 depending on the shop and what they actually need to
do to rectify the problem. May want to call about and get some insight
before taking the set in. Actually check with friends and neighbors
regarding local establishments and their recommendations.
link.net...

Art wrote:

Actually you have a vertical problem, loss of vertical deflection is
causing your horizontal line. Repair the vertical circuits, ESR the caps
in the vertical and associated power supply circuits, replace the vertical
output ic.
"JoeD" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working great
until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To
temporarily fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours a
week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

Art

May take them a bit of time but any good shop with Panasonic Repair
experience and service literature should be capable of doing the job. BTW
Give Panasonic a call in Secaucus and ask them for a referral in your area.
Good Luck
ink.net...

Art wrote:

In shop from $75 -$150 depending on the shop and what they actually need
to do to rectify the problem. May want to call about and get some insight
before taking the set in. Actually check with friends and neighbors
regarding local establishments and their recommendations.
hlink.net...

Art wrote:

Actually you have a vertical problem, loss of vertical deflection is
causing your horizontal line. Repair the vertical circuits, ESR the caps
in the vertical and associated power supply circuits, replace the
vertical output ic.
"JoeD" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working
great until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To
temporarily fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours
a week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

JoeD

Thanks again for your advice.

Art wrote:

May take them a bit of time but any good shop with Panasonic Repair
experience and service literature should be capable of doing the job. BTW
Give Panasonic a call in Secaucus and ask them for a referral in your area.
Good Luck
link.net...

Art wrote:

In shop from $75 -$150 depending on the shop and what they actually need
to do to rectify the problem. May want to call about and get some insight
before taking the set in. Actually check with friends and neighbors
regarding local establishments and their recommendations.
thlink.net...

Art wrote:

Actually you have a vertical problem, loss of vertical deflection is
causing your horizontal line. Repair the vertical circuits, ESR the caps
in the vertical and associated power supply circuits, replace the
vertical output ic.
"JoeD" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Hi,

I have a 8 year old Panasonic 31" or 32" CT31SF10R. It was working
great until 4
weeks ago.
Several times a week, the picture goes black and compresses
down to a thin horizontal line with the sound remaining on. To
temporarily fix the problem, I simply
turned it off, waited a few seconds, turn the TV set back on and the
problem goes away.
I am concerned that this will get worse. The TV is on for over 50 hours
a week, so we get a lot of use at of it.

Any advice on what the problem and is it worth fixing? As I said the
picture and sound are still as good as the 1st day I bought it.

Thanks for any advice.

Rick Cantellya

When the set fails, can you get the picture to come back or flicker by
tapping the set?

A thin HORIZONTAL line indicates a failure in the vertical amplifier
section. I'd look for a fractured solder connection. A good place to start
is PCB board connectors and larger resistors (1W or above), but anything can
fracture. Look for areas of heat stress (discoloration) on the PCB for prime
suspect areas.

Hope this helps.